Meraki MS switches interoperability

ManinderNegi
Here to help

Meraki MS switches interoperability

Guys,

My customer need cost effective switch having 10 G port capability.

Cisco 3850 series is out of customer budget  so i thinking of Meraki option.

Can in same LAN network I can run Cisco 3850 series as Core  and Meraki Switches at access layer?

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yes and did you see this? https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/11/prepare-for-ax-wireless-with-meraki-switches/

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

@ManinderNegi All switches should be using industry standards however for specific proprietary features you would need to stay with the same brand.

Guys,

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for 2 access switch which can support 10 G capability port + L2 functionality + ether channel.

And if i used Meraki switch as Access switch then they need to form ether channel with Cisco 3850.

Having said that, Meraki can used as access layer switch?

Moreover can you recommend Meraki Model which can support more than 12 port  , 10 G SPF + capability.

akan33
Building a reputation

make sure you are not running PVST in the current switches as it is not supported by Meraki and you could run into interoperability issues. 

And if i used Meraki switch as Access switch then they need to form ether channel with Cisco 3850.

Moreover can you recommend Meraki Model which can support more than 12 port  , 10 G SPF + capability. 

You should have no problem connecting to the Cisco 3850.  The Meraki and Cisco both support LACP for port aggregation.  You may have to specify lacp on the Cisco, I can't remember if it defaults to that or the Cisco proprietary "Fast Etherchannel".  As @akan33 mentioned, you will need to make sure the Cisco is using RSTP, not PVST, for spanning tree.  Also, Cisco's default to native VLAN 1 for trunked interfaces, while the Meraki's are perfectly happy with no native VLAN, so make sure your trunk settings match.

For higher density, look at the MS425 switches for 16 or 32 SFP+ ports or the new MS355 X2 switches that @BrandonS linked to for mGig copper ports.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels