Meraki MS STP Events - Root bridge election

SOLVED
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki MS STP Events - Root bridge election

Hi ,

In the past few days I have extracted via API all the events '' stp_no_longer_root " and "stp_elected_root" to see if any Meraki switches were becoming the Root bridge.

Here is our config : 

RaphaelL_0-1639068079415.png

Switch 1-8 are stacked with stack cables and only switch 1 and 2 are connected to our distribution layer ( Cisco VSS C6800 series ).  Meraki switches uses the default priority of 32678. Our distribution layer is running 4096 priority.

The ''only'' way I could explain all the STP events would be a sudden power loss and some members are rebooting faster than the switch master ( the one connecting to the root bridge ). Without any way to receive the root bridge bpdus , the stack member elects itself as the root bridge for a moment...

I'm having a hard time to figure out if a meraki switch really rebooted or even finding out the uptime...

Am I misinterpreting the logs ?

Thanks ,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

All 8 in the stack did reboot on the 6th. Not sure what the cause was. If you open a Support case they may be able to determine root cause.

Also, you should update to the current stable firmware. You're running a beta from over a year ago.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

All 8 in the stack did reboot on the 6th. Not sure what the cause was. If you open a Support case they may be able to determine root cause.

Also, you should update to the current stable firmware. You're running a beta from over a year ago.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks for the quick reply ! 

1- We can't upgrade the firmware yet. Long story with a current bug regarding DHCP

2- Is there a easy way to determine the uptime of a switch ?

3- A Support case was already open , but we couldn't determine if the switch did reboot or not.

I think we had a power outage on that site, but I couldn't confirm it.

1 - Understood 😉

2 - Unfortunately uptime is not exposed in dashboard. Please keep submitting feedback that it should be visible!

3 - Support can see the uptime/reboots. So, I'm not sure why/what transpired in the case.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels