MS425 Stacking link speed

SBINET
Just browsing

MS425 Stacking link speed

Hi,

I would like to know if its possible de build MS425 stack using a mix of 40G DAC and 10G SFP links ?

IMO it's not a good idea, but was sold as is, so now I would like to know if it's technically possible.

The documentation state that 40G and 10G are available option for stacking but doesn't state about mixing both.

thanks for your reply !

Regards,

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I would only use only one type between switches.  So you could use 40Gbe between switch 1 and switch 2, and 10Gbe between switch 2 and switch 3.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This has been answered in the other topic by the topic starter.

You cannot mix speeds within the same stack.

You'll need to use 40G DAC in combination with 40G BIDI transceivers or use all 10G all the way.

Hi,

The MERAKI support answered me that its a bad idea, but it works.

I'm fully aware that its not a good design, but I must deal with it for now and I only need to validate that the stack could be build like this.

I already search on the community to find the answer so if you can link me to the thread ?

Thanks, regards,

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Switching/Using-both-40G-and-10G-ports-in-same-stack/m-p/95042#M6884

Last post on that thread.  It's on the first page of the active threads now.

Hi,

That's kind of strange cause I got the opposite answer from the support yesterday.

As they mentioned that is not recommended, but it work.

Here is the support answer:

------------------------------------------------------

A new comment has been made on case 05476938:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Meraki.

While it is possible to use a mix of 40G DAC and 10G SFP links, we do not recommend implementing this topology.

Regards,
Vijul Bhalla

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels