MS355-48 Installed in 2 post rack

Matthew_C_44
New here

MS355-48 Installed in 2 post rack

Can the MS355-48 be properly installed in a 2 post rack? The switch ships with a rail kit and the installation document only shows a 4 post install. 

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Look at this:

alemabrahao_0-1674763157720.png

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/MS_Overview_and_Specifications/MS355_Overview_and_Specifications...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is a mid bracket mount that apparently should be compatible with the MS355 series, however the screw holes are all the way in the back of the switch since there are mostly ventilation holes on the side of the switch.

If you actually click on the link of the MID mount bracket it then only lists MS 210/225 and MS 250 series:

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/switches/switches-accessories/ma-mnt-mid-1/

So I would go with a hard no.  the MS355 is quite a heavy switch and since you don't have any centrale screwholes you could not use that kind of a mount for a 2 post rack.

Maybe there are third party solutions that have a midmount shelf or support arms that can help you.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We always try to install them in 4-post racks, but this week we had an install where the rear posts have been delayed.  The switches we installed have 2x 1100WAC power supplies each and stacking cables so are as heavy as they can be.  They actually sit better in the rack than the 3850s they replaced.  Therefore I'd say you can install them on front rails only, but if you can support the back I'd recommend it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels