MS355-24X loud fan noise

Julian_Hussain
Here to help

MS355-24X loud fan noise

One of our customers has a MS355-24X switch that they have been using for almost a year. 

Around 2 months ago the switch fans started to run at full speed and is extremely loud

Opened a case with Meraki support and they said the fan speed is 6959 rpm.

No high CPU usage either. They mentioned it is a firmware issue and since then it has been upgraded to 14.33 and is still running at full speed and loud as ever

Apparently the dev team are working on a fix for it and it has been almost 2 months and still nothing.

There are a few people who work right outside the server room and they keep complaining every day

Anyone else have this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have several MS355s and two active -24X models.  They were not doing this on 14.32, have since been upgraded to 14.33 but I haven't been to site to hear them now.  I'll post a reply next week when I am there to confirm.

Thanks cmr. That would be great. For me it happens on 14.32 and 14.33

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I checked today and on 14.33 our MS355-24Xs are sounding normal and not loud.  They couldn't be heard over the wheezing blade chassis lower in the same rack.  Fans definitely not running at a fast speed.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I myself not used but will check and update on that also check the response from @cmr once he will be back.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Bur20
Here to help

Fans appear to be running normal speed on our MS355-48X's. We are on 14.32.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Julian_Hussain If you restart the switch do the fans go back to normal?  

I would push support and ask for a replacement. You might need to be a squeaky wheel and keep pestering them for a response. 

Thanks @BlakeRichardson 

Have restarted multiple times and it still runs at full speed

Meraki agreed to RMA but mentioned if it occurs again, they wont send out another one since it is a firmware issue

Should probably try my luck since it is not common

@Julian_Hussain Has support queried the actual room temp vs the sensors reported temp? It would be interesting to see if it's a sensor issue. 

There was a recall a few years ago because of a fan issue but that involved the MS225/MS210-48LP/FP

Yup they queried it. Reply below

- Temp ranging 24-34 degree
- Fan speed 6959
- Temp and Fan speed looks all normal

- Further checking and found that loud fan on MS355 is a known issue and development team is working on it

Could be the sensor but dont think they can test it from their end

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Julian_Hussain is the ambient temperature in the room 24-34C?

If so, I'm pretty sure that'll be the cause of your fan noise, our rooms run at 18-21C...

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

34 degrees is a little warm to be running equipment in. Our rooms run at 22 degrees with alarms set for 25 and critical temp being 35 which emails, sends an SMS and voice call. 

Thanks @cmr and @BlakeRichardson 

I have asked the customer to check the ambient temp and to let me know

Julian_Hussain
Here to help

I got it replaced by Meraki via an RMA

and guess what...

No loud fan anymore. 

Hopefully it stays that way

Thanks all for your help

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels