MS225; Can 10G uplink ports be used as access ports?

ArmoredCitadel
Just browsing

MS225; Can 10G uplink ports be used as access ports?

Hello,

I have a small 1G home lab network that needs 3x 10G ports for two servers and one workstation all connected via fiber.  Can the uplink ports on the Meraki MS225-24 be used as access ports?  Will there be any deficiency in Meraki's analytics?  I've googled and searched Meraki's manuals with no clear answer on whether you can set these ports up as access ports.  All I need is 10G from the servers to the workstation as well as the 1G ports being able to access the servers and workstation.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_M
Getting noticed

Uplink ports for all intent and purposes are just a regular switch ports like any other. Usually uplink ports are higher bandwidth and preferred for "uplinking" to distribution or core switches.

So you can have 10G access port if you so desired instead of using it for uplink to another switch.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @Chris_M

You'll just need to make sure you have the right SFP and connectivity to your endpoint (whatever it may be).  Otherwise the port config doesn't care if you set it as trunk or access. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The stacking ports in the rear (it's not clear to me what you mean by "uplink" ports) cannot be used as regular access ports. These are only for use with stacking. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Chris_M
Getting noticed

Most of the time, the 2 or 4 SFP+ ports are called uplink ports since they often have higher rated bandwidth for "uplinking" and connect to other switches, usually the distribution switch, heading toward the core or egress device (router).

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

Yes SFP+ ports can be used as access ports. I have a copper SFP module installed in our MS425-32 which is used as an access port. 

10Gb to a work station... What is it being used for as thats a larger large pipe for a single device..

While the marketing material does refer to them as uplink ports this isn't actually true as you can use any port of the switch as an uplink port. Uplink is just the defination of the port used as the connection to the next hop.

Bulk upload from workstation to 10G NAS where the other systems on the network must be able to access the data uploaded to the NAS (However they will not need 10G as they will only be accessing a very small portion of the data uploaded.)

That's awesome nothing changes with Meraki!  Thanks everyone!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels