MS220 and MS225 Fibre uplink

tonysg
Comes here often

MS220 and MS225 Fibre uplink

Hi,

I need some advice on the setup.

I got 2 office units within a same building but at different floor.

- Office A got 2 MS220-48FP. Both switches are connected on Port 1 as uplink using Ethernet cable 

- Office B has 2 MS225-48FP. Both switches are connected on Port 1 as uplink using Ethernet cable 

- I got 2 fibre cable between the 2 offices

Questions

1. Do I connect 2 fibre cable directly to a single MS220 or 1 fibre to each MS220? 

2.Do I connect 2 fibre cable directly to a single MS225 or 1 fibre to each MS225? 

Is there any rule or best practices to follow?

Thank you in advanced.

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would use the stacking connector on the back of your MS225's and stack them together, rather than using an Ethernet cable in port 1 on the front of the switches.  You'll need stacking cables for this.

The MS220's don't have stacking ports.  Note that if you do the below the port 1 between the two switches will probably be blocked by spanning tree and kept as a redundant link.

I would connect a fibre to each switch, so when done, all four of your switches has 1 fibre plugged into it.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

I would second that setup. 

Stack the MS225's then link using the SFP's to connect the switches together spread evenly. 

Whether you keep the Ethernet cable between them for redundancy is up to you and may depend on the on rest of your network upstream.

tonysg
Comes here often

Thanks PhilipDath and Nick for your reply.

With such setup, I will have 2 x 1GB backbone connection between Office A and Office B.

Is it advisable to link aggregate 2 x SFP ports to achieve 1 single 2GB backbone connection between Office A and Office B if

1. Office A - Connect  the 2 fibre cable directly to a single MS220 and link aggregate 2 x SFP port
  2. Office B - Connect the 2 fibre cable directly to a single MS225 and link aggregate 2 x SFP port

Thank you in advanced.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes.  If you form a stack then you can aggregate across the stack.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you'd have 4 fibers you could cross connect them for full redundancy but in this case it's just from the  stack of 225's each one cable to a 220.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels