MS Switch master and STP port ID

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS Switch master and STP port ID

Hi ,

Has anyone ever asked support to manually change the switch priority of a switch in a stack ? Currently it is the lowest MAC that wins the election. That can cause issues with STP since the port IDs will increment according to the switch number and not the ''real'' switch position.

Eg : your switch master could be in the middle of your stack instead on top of the stack and cause confusion when cabling like shown below : 

RaphaelL_0-1661965237523.png

RaphaelL_2-1661965403971.png

SS02UA-1 puts interface 1 in blocking/discarding since the same BPDU with a lower port ID is received on interface 2 resulting in non optimal forwarding.

Being able to set switch #1 as the master , #2 as the backup , #3,#4 and so on in that order would actually fix my nightmares. 

I'm not aware if support is able to do so. I could simply open a ticket to figure it out , but I'm curious if anyone has ever done that in the past.

I'm aware that I have created a similar post in 2022 , but this is mostly an open discussion than finding a solution.

Thanks , 

3 Replies 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RaphaelL I luckily discovered this on the first stack that we installed of more than two members, so now install them with the lowest MAC as switch 1 etc.  I know that if we have to replace a member then it all messes up, but we haven't had to do that so far...!

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's exactly our situation. Couple of us are aware of this but we had to replace one switch ( RMA ). We replaced it with a ''older'' MS in our inventory , and here we are 🙂 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

🤣oops, sorry no answer for that one!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels