MS/MR Qos for Cisco IP Phones Voice Traffic

Mohammad
Getting noticed

MS/MR Qos for Cisco IP Phones Voice Traffic

Mates, 

I have few MR and MS and multiple Cisco IP Phones running in existing environment, I want to implement QoS for my Voice Traffic originating from IP Phones. I have also monitored my uplink bandwidth which is less unitized under 70% at peak time.

Still i want to implement QoS to be safer side, if there is bust in Internet uplink, my voice traffic get priotrize.

What will be best approach to implement ?

What DSCP marking should i configure for Voice?

Any more suggestions?

16 Replies 16
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Mohammad , take a read through the below:

https://meraki.cisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/meraki_whitepaper_msvoip.pdf

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Out the box all QoS markings etc are setup for you. All you need to do is ensure that you have a voice vlan configured and you’re placing your IP Phones into this VLAN.

Single site or multi site Cisco telephony?  Engage with your WAN provider if multi site so they can implement QoS across their WAN

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@DarrenOC  Thanks Mate.

Just follow your shared link and enable QoS of my Cisco IP Phones VLAN.

Do other vendor IP Phones mark DSCP marking same like Cisco IP Phones Do bydefault?

In my Voice Vlan I have cisco and other vendor phones also, now this will trust other vendor IP Phones also?

I have multiple sites Voice environment, connected with MX SD-WAN over Broadband Fiber.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Mohammad , from my own experiences of other vendors I.e Yealink, Avaya etc I would say yes their markings are the same

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks,

if IP Phone is connect with HP switch and HP Switch is connected with Meraki MX  or MS, do required any configuration on HP switch global or Interface level for Qos?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any Device vendor can decide on its own how to implement QoS and what it's defaults are. You should check each device individually for a correct QoS-configuration.

@KarstenI  Thanks.

One quick question, is there any way we can see what is my uplink Bandwith ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mohammad wrote:

One quick question, is there any way we can see what is my uplink Bandwith ?

Generally speaking, no!

Your contract can tell you what you should have, speed tests and monitoring tells you what you really have.

@KarstenI  Thnaks,

yes ,   I have done speed test and utilization, it only show current scenario, but didn't get what is signed and commitment from ISP.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mohammad wrote:

yes ,   I have done speed test and utilization, it only show current scenario, but didn't get what is signed and commitment from ISP.

Ask the ISP if they have a speedtest-server in their network. With that you take the connections to other ISPs out of the equation. And make sure that none of your devices is limiting the bandwidth.

Do you measure consistent lower throughput or is it only sometimes?

@KarstenI  I got something under Security-SD-Wan under Traffic sharing, there   you find to shape traffic, there is higher limit under uplink configuration, I think that is the max limit which is ISP is giving?

Could u correct and cross check, is my understanding is correct?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What you configure there should be set to the ISP-bandwidth or slightly lower so that the MX knows how to apply QoS. If the value is larger than committed by the ISP, it at least will not limit your throughput but is also not optimal.

@KarstenI  I do agree with you.

But i can see all my MX has different MX higher limit under uplink, does it Auto sense from ISP and set its higher limit same as ISP commitment?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You have to set it according to the bandwidth. It's not done automatically.

Got it, only ways is Wireshark!

@DarrenOC  IS there any way on meraki MS we can see Voice Vlan traffic is bee n marked?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Mohammad , unfortunately not. Not like you can with a catalyst switch.

Wonder if you ran a wireshark/packet capture if you’d see the traffic being marked correctly? I believe you should be able to see this.

Run a packet capture whilst on a call and see what it pulls up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels