Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS-390, when is it ready for action?

Highlighted
Here to help

MS-390, when is it ready for action?

Hi,

we were considering the MS-390 in a design for a customer but after looking at the release notes (even the beta software) we're not really convinced that this switchis ready for action yet.

This is a list from the relase notes and I say it's quite long:

•   MS390 stack members may not report client-level detail
  •   MS390 series switches Max MTU is limited to 9198 bytes
  •   MS390 series switches will not display packet details in the DHCP Servers page
  •   MS390 series switches do not support the 'next-server' or 'bootfile' parameters in DHCP messages
  •   Rebooting a single switch in an MS390 stack will reboot the entire stack
  •   LLDP frames from MS390 series switches will use a single system name instead of the Dashboard given name
  •   MS390 series switches will not display the advertising router ID for OSPF
  •   MS390 series switches with OSPF enabled will default to an IP MTU of 1500 bytes on every OSPF enabled interface
  •   MS390 series switches do not support the multicast routing livetool
  •   Stacked MS390 series switches do not report traffic/client analytics correctly in all cases
  •   MS390 series switches do not support tagged traffic bypass for voice on ports with a Multi-Auth access policy
  •   Dynamic VLAN assignment from a RADIUS server on MS390 series switches must already be an allowed VLAN on the port for it to function
  •   MS390 series switches may not display link state on links at mGig speeds (2.5G, 5G)
  •   MS390 series switches do not currently support the following features: VRRP, SM Sentry, Syslog server, SNMP, Traceroute, IPv6 connectivity to dashboard, Meraki Auth, URL Redirection, MAC Whitelisting, RADIUS Accounting, RADIUS CoA, QoS, Power Supply State, PoE power status/usage, Loop Detection, UDLD, MAC Flap Detection

Is there an ETA when this list is implemented / fixed ?

It's also a bit confusing ; we designed a redundant core solution with a warm spare. The datasheet says the MS-390 supports warm spare but the realse notes say VRRP is not supported yet. Are we talking about VRRP with other brands (Warm spare is based on VRRP with Meraki switches) or is this VRRP in general ? 

with kind regards,

Marcel Tempelman

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Building a reputation

Re: MS-390, when is it ready for action?

Hi, I would say if you don’t feel comfortable with the number of known bugs/issues then hold off or propose another device.

Ive read the 390 data sheets and they specify VRRP is supported whilst the Warm Spare release notes don’t mention the MS-390’s.  I would go with what’s in the ms-390 datasheets.  The warm spare release notes clearly haven’t been updated.

Highlighted
Here to help

It depends. If the customer is targeting Q3/4 for implementation and everything is fixed by then there's no problem.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

Given the current state of the world and active disruptions that we're all experiencing

I wouldn't place bets on firmware being fixed by Q3/Q4. I am not criticizing Meraki's speed here. I am recognizing that we are not in a usual time or place.

Kind of a big deal

I don't think I would deploy it yet.

But - I'm struggling even for a use case (apart from someone wanting SGT support - which it currently doesn't support ...).  Why do you prefer this switch over (for example) an MS355?

Highlighted
Here to help

The customer needs around 20 SFP/SFP+ ports en 20-40 copper ports in each MER. A stack of 3 MS-390s would be enough otherwise we'd have to make a design with several stacks of MS3XX and MS4XX switches.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

With that port density in mind the MS390 with the 8 port 10Gbe module is a nice fit.

I think I would go with a pair of MS425-16's (to get 32 SFP+ ports) and a pair of MS225-24's (to give you 48 copper ports), which gives you two of everything so you have complete redundancy.  You can use 10Gbe TwinAx to link the MS225's to the 10Gbe MS425 core.  Cheap interconnects.

Plan B, involving just 1 extra switch, would be to go with 5 x MS355-24X.  That will give you 20 x SFP+ ports and 120 copper ports.  Some customers might prefer to have the single stack.  Easy to manage.  One "core" switch.

But if it was my money, I'd want the MS425 10Gbe core.  I just feels "right".

I've used this exact design (MS425 core and MS225 switch blocks) before with customers and it has worked great.  I have had an MS225 server switch block (for those server things still with Gigabit ports) and then MS225 access layer blocks for general connectivity.

Both of these switches have been out for a while and have mature firmware.

Highlighted
Here to help

Good to hear about the stability. For access switches we went for the 250 because it support redundant power supplies.

We're going back to the drawing board and I'll consider what you're using, thank you.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.