MS-390, when is it ready for action?

Darren8
Here to help

Re: MS-390, when is it ready for action?

I was very tempted but didn't want to risk it.

Support also said unless they tell you to for a specific reason you shouldn't have to (ie stacking should work with the stable release).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Darren8 with the MS390, the versions after 12.28 bring you fixes about what client is reported where, PSU info, PoE info, routing fixes, crash fixes, the ability to change settings and not need to reboot the switch and more.

The only known downside of 14.8 that applies to the 390 is that the stack must be no more than 3, but you are okay with that.

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

I just do Testing with MS14.8 Beta on my MS390 and yes there are some updates Like Power supply information but still a lot of things not working. Client Information is now OK. But you can not have more than 3 Switches in a Stack with Beta 14.8!!

Kabel Test is not Working.

Ping from the Switch goes up to more than 400ms and sometimes even up to 2 seconds!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-06 um 20.26.02.png

hope to be able to post more updates soon.

Darren8
Here to help

Got an outage window and back onsite and basically almost 5 hours later, 3 Meraki support engineers and still no data stack.

I followed the provided instructions which failed at step 1. Found a way around it and continued. Waited 3.5 hours after the final step for the stack to form and then called it.

Went with 12.32 this time.

Not a happy camper 🙄

whistleblower
Getting noticed

hi @All

do you still think the same way today? how is the experience with the MS390 series as of today? I’m also considering a MS425 flex stack in a new deployment and use the MS390‘s as physical stacks as access switches! One reason for me is that I was told that the 390 would be the best for future use - e.g. of the hardware specifications, Adaptive Policy feature etc.

Maybe someone knows if SGT would also be supported on the other switch models like MS425, 350 and 250?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@whistleblower I'd use 355Xs as an access stack, in fact I have replaced a stack on 3850s with 355Xs and the Cu 2.5/5/10GbE is a great benefit for access.  As they have QSFP+ ports we are going to use those to link to our core at that site.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I’m still in two minds about the MS390. From a futures perspective, yes it will be the best switch. Should you deploy it now? Hmmmmm... if you just want switches doing nothing too special in small stacks (three or less), and you’re happy for the odd hiccup and to run the MS14 ‘beta’ code then I reckon they’re probably deployable.

As for SGTs, I doubt very much that the traditional Meraki switches will ever support them. The Cisco Catalysts and the MS390 that support SGTs have the UADP ASIC in them so that they can process the additional payload in the Layer 2 header - its unlikely the traditional switches will ever get this capability as their ASICs most likely can’t do it, and doing it on the CPU is impractical.

I expect, but this is pure speculation, that potentially once the MS390 has reached a certain level of maturity and stability then Meraki may bring a small number of other Catalyst hardware over to the MS range, like the Catalyst 9500 to expand/extend the MS400 series. Under the hood the Catalyst 9000 switches are all similar from my understanding, so once one is done the others should be significantly easier (and probably not such a mess as the MS390 was).

GIdenJoe
Head in the Cloud

I strongly agree with @Bruce here.

The catalyst switches themselves are very stable but the integration with Meraki software is going a bit bumpy.

Once they got the hang of it, porting other members of the catalyst portfolio to the newer MS line will be less troublesome.  All catalyst switches use the same kind of UADP chip in one generation (except the 9200's) and the software behaves the same over the entire family.

The traditional MS line is more stable but has way fewer supported features than a catalyst switch,

Smaller customer that exclusively route traffic over the upstream appliance albeit an MX or a 3rd party device will be just fine with the current MS family.

However if those customers grow and go to a routed distribution layer/core then segmentation becomes more important and that is where the trustsec/adaptive policy value lies.

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

I am in the same Status. As the Firmware with solves a lot of Problems is still Beta I do not recoment to buy it now. Or only if you need Multigigabit Ports. One of the biggest problem still is that if you have a stack with ms390 and you are updating software the full stack goes down!! and not just for 3 Minutes. Last update of a stack with 4 MS390 took more that 35 Minutes to get fully operational again.

I also See that Meraki is using more Cisco Nativ switches in future. But if you see how it is implemented at the moment. this will never work stable. if you open the MS390 Switch you find the Serial Console Port. Connect a Console Cable to it and power on the switch. You are able to see that the Switch is powering up a Cisco nativ IOS and then starting a virtual stack for the Meraki implementation.

whistleblower
Getting noticed

thanks  @Bruce @GIdenJoe 

@Bruce wrote:

I’m still in two minds about the MS390. From a futures perspective, yes it will be the best switch. Should you deploy it now? Hmmmmm... if you just want switches doing nothing too special in small stacks (three or less), and you’re happy for the odd hiccup and to run the MS14 ‘beta’ code then I reckon they’re probably deployable.

...and that`s the point, for now the switches will be used for wired-access /w 802.1x and to connect APs maybe via mGig... for this to achive the 355 Series would be fine! But when it comes for future use and one point out of that would be in my opinion Adpative Policy/SGT than I`d have to go with the MS390...

The thing is... when I use the MS425 in the core and they won`t support the Adaptive Policy feature neither in the future as well - the design is`nt as good for future proof! So I`d to use the MS390 (/w all differences e.g. like flexible-stacking compared to the MS425...) or mix Meraki MS-Switches with Cisco Enterprise C9K devices - which I honestly would like to avoid! 😕

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

>when I use the MS425 in the core and they won`t support the Adaptive Policy feature neithe

If you buy the MS390 are you going to buy the "Advanced" licence as well to enabled Adaptive Policy?

whistleblower
Getting noticed

hi @PhilipDAth 

yes, the plan was to buy the license to use the Adaptive Policy!

BTW - I‘ve attended the meraki PVT in the last week and the SE‘s advised that currently the way to go in using Adaptive Policy will be to work with C9K in the core! the questions - if the classic MS Series will also be adopted to use the same future proofed features like the MS390 offer today... where’nt answered very clearly to me 😕

In my case now, if the customer will decide to use micro-segmentation, I‘ll change all over to Cisco C9K switches for core/distribution and access layer! If not, than I probably choose the MS355 as the access switches because of the better stability...

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@whistleblower, it’s highly unlikely that the classic MS switches will ever be able to do Adaptive Policy. AP uses a Scalable Group Tag (SGT) which is inserted into the Ethernet header, and since virtually every switch uses ASICs to process the Ethernet header, the ASIC needs to ‘know’ about it. Unfortunately the ASICs in the classic MS switches aren’t reprogramable.

The MS390 has Cisco’s UADP ASIC in it, which is the same as in the Catalyst 9000 series, hence why they all support SGT and why they can all play nicely together. The UADP ASIC also supports a level of reprogamability too, which is why Cisco rave about it so much - means they can add new capabilities to the ASIC without throwing the switch out.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.