Local network not working when there is connection to meraki cloud

srankoin
New here

Local network not working when there is connection to meraki cloud

Hi all,

Recently I had internet outages on both my primary and failover ports. 

There was no connection to the cloud and I noticed no devices on my lan were able to communicate with each other. 

I was unable to ping devices on my local lan.

Shouldn't everything work as it normally should when there is no connection to the cloud?  I know i wont be able to access the dashboard and change settings but I thought switches should still work ?

7 Replies 7
double_virgule
Getting noticed

Safe Configuration 

Safe configuration means that “the device has connectivity to cloud and hasn't rebooted for 30 minutes following a configuration change.” That is, the safe configuration is the last configuration the device received from the cloud that was not followed by a reboot within 30 minutes. 

MS switch

• If the configuration is safe
    • MS switch will never reboot
  • If the configuration is not safe
    • MS switch will try to obtain an IP address on an alternate VLAN and then connect to the cloud through that alternate connection
    • MS switch will revert to previous safe configuration 2 hours after lost connectivity
    • After reverting to a safe configuration, the former configuration will be marked bad

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conne...

Is there a chance your configuration on your device was not considered 'safe' and reverted to an old config that didn't have the correct VLANs/routing? 

srankoin
New here

Hey Thank you for the quick reply. 

I am looking over that article and im not seeing anything about what would cause a configuration to be unsafe.  

• If the configuration is not safe   <------   What would be the primary cause of this?
    • MS switch will try to obtain an IP address on an alternate VLAN and then connect to the cloud through that alternate connection
    • MS switch will revert to previous safe configuration 2 hours after lost connectivity
    • After reverting to a safe configuration, the former configuration will be marked bad
double_virgule
Getting noticed

Safe configuration means that “the device has connectivity to cloud and hasn't rebooted for 30 minutes following a configuration change.” That is, the safe configuration is the last configuration the device received from the cloud that was not followed by a reboot within 30 minutes. 

Basically, it pulled a config, rebooted, and then lost connection. 

I'm not sure if that's what is happening in your case, but it's the only reason Cisco states for why you might have interruptions due to lack of dashboard/internet connectivity. 

Did everything start working again when it reconnected to the cloud? 

srankoin
New here

Thank you for the info. Yes everything went back to normal as soon as the connection was regained to the cloud.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>noticed no devices on my lan were able to communicate with each other. 

They should still be able to talk to each other.  Especially if you ping by IP address.  It's not clear how name resolution works in your environment, so that may have been broken.

srankoin
New here

We are using the dns server role to manage our name resolution.  Unfortunately when pinging by ip, i was still not getting any responses. This is very troublesome because I work at manufactoring facility and our workstations are connected by rdp into our server. As soon as the network goes down like in this case, the clients are not able to regain rdp access. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If this ever happens again, download a supprot data bundle from the local status page, and give it to support in a case.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Out-of-Band_Log_Fe...

There must have been an additional issue apart from a simple Internet outage.  Perhaps there was a loss of power somewhere, or something like that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels