Link Aggregation between 2xMS425 stack and Catalyst 9500

Solved
IkeRiesbeck
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Link Aggregation between 2xMS425 stack and Catalyst 9500

I'm looking at a design that has 2x MS425-32 stacked together (which takes up both QSFP ports on the MS425's), and is attempting to create a 40G connection upstream to a Catalyst 9500. 

I understand that breakout cables are NOT supported on the MS425, but I was curious if it would be possible to have a 1x 40G > 4x 10G breakout cable plugged into a 40G QSFP port the C9500, and then perform link aggregation on the MS425. 

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It should work.
Breakout cables are typicaly designed that the broken out side just see's a 4x10G PortChannel and doesn't even 'know' that the opposite side of the cable is a single QSFP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see why not.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see why that wouldn't work if you of course choose a C9500 model that supports the breakout cable on the 40G ports.
To the MS it would just be 4 x 10G port channel.
I would however double check with your Cisco Rep about the C9500 breakout interfaces bonding.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It should work.
Breakout cables are typicaly designed that the broken out side just see's a 4x10G PortChannel and doesn't even 'know' that the opposite side of the cable is a single QSFP.

Thank you!!!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels