Link Aggregation Question (connecting to existing Juniper access switches)

henleyjj
Here to help

Link Aggregation Question (connecting to existing Juniper access switches)

Hi All

So I have a important project for a critical site that's running primary all Juniper hardware.
We're planning to replace the core Juniper SFP switches with 2 x MS425-16 port SFP switches. While leaving existing Juniper access switches as-is for the time being.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way of manually assign aggregation group number? I need to do this to so the numbers match up the existing aggregation ethernet groups numbers on Juniper access switches for consistency purposes (i.e AGGR/9 matches to AE9.0)?

2. Has anyone experienced any issues configuring LACP links between Meraki switches and Juniper switches?
6 REPLIES 6
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

For question 1, no. The number is automatically assigned upon creation. 

Further, the LACP administrative key (which is generated from the aggregation group number) is locally significant only. It doesn't need to match the group number or administrative key of the switch at the far end of the aggregated link. From the 802.1ax standard:

...there is no global significance to Key values. Similarly, the relationship between administrative and operational Keys is meaningful only in the context of the System that allocates it. When a System assigns an administrative Key to a set of Aggregation Ports, it signifies that those Aggregation Ports have the potential to aggregate together....

802.1AX-2020 - IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks--Link Aggregation | IEEE Stand...

As long as the Juniper switches that you are connecting to follow a standards-based approach, then interoperability shouldn't be a problem. 

Got it. Yeah this is just for consistency purposes so the AGG number matches up to access switches hostname number/ agg. ethernet number.

Looks like I'll have to manually adjust the AGG numbers by creating dummy AGG interfaces.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If your port-channels start at number 1 then if you're careful about the order you make the channels you could match them up 😉

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Except the first aggregation port is aggr/0... 🤦🏻‍♂️

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

D'Oh!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels