Layer 3 Switch Example - Meraki Best Practices Guide

Erik_R
Here to help

Layer 3 Switch Example - Meraki Best Practices Guide

Hello.  Per one of Meraki's best practices guides (linked below) regarding defining "uplink" VLANs, I have a few questions.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Layer_3_Switch_Example

On the MX, a VLAN of 20 named "Uplink" is defined using 192.168.128.0/24 using an MX IP address of 192.168.128.254.

On the MS, a VLAN of 20 named "Uplink" is defined using 192.168.128.0/24 with an interface IP address of 192.168.128.1.

Does the size of the subnet matter for this uplink VLAN?  The example uses /24, but should it be much smaller or is the size completely irrelevant.  For example, use 192.168.128.0/30 and then use 192.168.128.2 for the MX IP address instead of 192.168.128.254.  You could keep the interface IP address of 192.168.128.1 on the MS.

On this uplink VLAN defined on the MX, does DHCP need to be enabled for any reason?  I don't see why it would, but I'm unsure.

On the MX, how would you define the uplink port to the MS?  Trunk port, native VLAN 1 and allowed VLANs 20?  The answer to this would dictate how the matching uplink port on the MS would be defined.

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The subnet size is not very relevant.  Note that with an L3 switch the switch management address (which is what the MS uses to talk to the Meraki cloud), which is not the same as the VLAN address (which is used for routing packets) also needs to be in that uplink range.

That would preclude a /30.  A minimum of a /29 would be needed.

I try and use DHCP for the switch management address so that if I need to make config changes (such as a change in DNS server) I can do it without needed to access the switch physically via its management interface (in the event it gets taken offline for some reason).

I use trunk ports between MX and MS.

So in their example, you would use their uplink VLAN of 20 for the switch management IP address information as well with a gateway of 192.168.128.254?

Would the management VLAN in switch settings then be set changed to 20?

Lastly, on the MX and MS ports that connect together:

Trunk, native VLAN 1, allowed VLANs 1, 20

or

Trunk, native VLAN 20, allowed VLANs 1, 20

or

Trunk, native VLAN 20, allowed VLANs all

or 

Other

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels