Last used switch port for a device

Erik
Here to help

Last used switch port for a device

Problem: When an access point or computer goes offline I don't see which switch port it was last connected to.

Is there any way to see it?

9 REPLIES 9
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

It is shown when checking the client page.

This comes up through Network-Wide > Clients, or by searching for the device MAC on the dashboard, if you do not know which network the device last connected.

antonis_sp_0-1575361175777.png

If you know the switch the device was connected, there is a client list at the switch summary page.

Thanks! What about access points?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Doesn't it show the last port the AP was connected to on the status page of the access point Wireless > Access Points:

image.png

I disabled the port on the switch about an hour ago. It's still showing the port the AP was last connected to.

Annotation 2019-12-03 152057.png

Nope..

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Was it directly connected to a Meraki switch?

Yes it was.
antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Your AP has been offline for 6 days.

Probably that data has timed out on the dashboard (not quite sure what the actual time limit is).

I see the APs in the client table of the switch summary (at least recently offline APs).

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'd be surprised if the data had timed out. According to the Get Network Device LLDP CDP API call, that information is retained for a month.

Erik
Here to help

What i got from Meraki support:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Meraki Technical Support.

You may check the MAC forwarding table on the switch as information for AP's MAC should be kept there for few minutes. 
However, the best practice would be use port 'name' configuration option on the switch to put information about AP it's connecting to or 'Notes' section on AP to specify switchport information. 

Please, let me know if you need any further assistance. Otherwise, as I have answered your question, this case will be automatically closed in 3 days if I do not hear back from you by then (however, we can easily reopen the case if you require more information, please email or call the Support Hotline if you wish to continue).

Best Regards,

Cisco Meraki Technical Support

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels