LACP Aggregate on Switch Stack - Slow failover?

JimBean
Conversationalist

LACP Aggregate on Switch Stack - Slow failover?

Hello

we have a 2 switch stack (MS425-32)

Stacked with Port 33 SW1 going to Port 34 on SW2 and Port 34 SW1 going to Port 33 SW2

Stack is good and healthy.

We have a aggregate on port 1 on both switches that face a firewall

Port statusEnabled
TypeTrunk
Native VLAN666
Allowed VLANs123
Access policyOpen
Link negotiationAuto negotiate (10 Gbps)
RSTPEnabled (Forwarding)
Port scheduleUnscheduled
Port isolationDisabled
Trusted DAIDisabled
UDLDAlert only
Tagsnone
PoEn/a
Port mirroringNot mirroring traffic
Stacking portDisabled

and 

We have a aggregate on port 2 on both switches that face my machine

Port statusEnabled
TypeTrunk
Native VLAN666
Allowed VLANs123
Access policyOpen
Link negotiationAuto negotiate (10 Gbps)
RSTPEnabled (Forwarding)
Port scheduleUnscheduled
Port isolationDisabled
Trusted DAIDisabled
UDLDAlert only
Tagsnone
PoEn/a
Port mirroringNot mirroring traffic
Stacking portDisabled

if we do a switch reboot (eg reboot switch 1 or 2) , we are seeing a 30 second outage before the firewall interface on VLAN123 is available again , what we are expecting is almost a instant / 1-2 second outage

We made a change on the firewall side ,  changing it from Passive SLOW LACP to Passive FAST LACP

and it made a big improvement - approx 10 Second outage before the firewall interface is available again on switch reboot.

What we are trying to get to is normal ~1 second outage on a switch reboot - where the links fail to the other switch

please can you check if our Agg towards the firewall is configured as best practise , 

i suspect we may need to disable RSTP ,  and maybe some other aggregate settings - any help or assistance appreciated.as this is our first Meraki Switch Stack and we are struggling to find best practises on LACP Aggregates towards devices such as a firewall

thanks!

4 Replies 4
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes I believe that has been recognized as a bug.
I also recently did a single stack member poweroff to test something and we also had the packet loss.

Even the most recent MS 15.21.1 firmware has this issue according to the firmware release notes.

Excerpt:

Ms2xx/35x/4xx known issues

• Cross-stack LACP bundles experiencing a switch reboot will cause the remaining online port to experience an outage for up to 30 seconds. The same is seen again when the switch comes back online (present since MS 10)
JimBean
Conversationalist

Thanks for this info,

does anyone know if there is a official bugID number or some kind of reference number? 

JacekJ
Building a reputation

Good question, would like to know that as well - to be honest since a few major issues we had with Meraki switches firmwares I'm reading each and every changelog and discovering bugs that we run into.

It has happened a lot that bugs were discovered and noted as known in 15.xx releases, saying that they are known since 14.xx or even 12.xx but they are not shown on the 14.xx affected versions changelogs (seems that they just add that on the current release when this has been acknowledged without updating the old affected ones).

If you have stacks with more than two switches, watch out for this one, its very nasty: 

• Connecting a stacking cable to a stack that is online may result in a stack member going offline (present since MS 12)
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki does not use any public facing bug ID's like Cisco does.  Perhaps internal they use them but you should ask them directly.

For now be assured that this is a known issue listed in the Firmware issues.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels