Is it possible to mirror Aggregate ports?

JHatem
Here to help

Is it possible to mirror Aggregate ports?

My uplink ports are mirrored across a switch stack; Switch 1 / port 47, Switch 2 / port 47.   In the Meraki interface, if I select an individual port, I can configure mirroring.  These ports show up as a group, and I"m unable to configure mirroring via the web interface.   I also can't select these individually.   Has anyone found a workaround for this?  

9 REPLIES 9
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Don't think there is one 😢.

Here's what's in the docs:

Note: The MS switch does not support port mirrors involving aggregated ports.

Source:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Packet_Captures_and_Port_Mirroring_on_t...

What are you trying to do?

Thanks.  I am trying to mirror traffic on my uplink port.  Also looking to see if I can do this on the firewall instead. 

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

If it's for troubleshooting, maybe you can mirror further down the line, closer to the client you're troubleshooting?

Mirroring the aggregated uplink to a single gigabit port would be a bottleneck anyway...

I was hoping just to mirror one port, not both aggregate ports.  Seems like as soon as the ports are combined, they are unavailable for mirroring.  Also, on the firewall side of things, the ports are aggregate there as well, so I've got the same issue on either end of this. 

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Yup indeed. That won't be possible.

Thanks! I found a workaround, we have a switch I was able to mirror a port on.  

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Good to hear! That is indeed what I meant with mirroring "further down the line" :).

I am very interested in what you did as I to am looking to mirror an aggregate port.   

Hi, 

Mirroring was not possible on either my firewall or my Meraki, since on both devices the ports are grouped.  However, there is a DMZ switch ahead of the firewall, I mirrored that port.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels