Intermittent internet connection

Walt_Sylvester
Conversationalist

Intermittent internet connection

We seem to be having intermittent internet connectivity issues. We recently added 43 Meraki APs to our Meraki network infrastructure. I'm afraid there might be some configuration issue somewhere.

Pertinent Information:
-A large number of ports are showing STP issues.
-All of the traffic is using one 1GB internet circuit. this includes the LAN and both staff and guest SSIDs
-RSTP is enabled on all ports
-The 1GB internet connection connects to our DMX switch which then connects to our Checkpoint Firewall
-The issues seem to ramp up when we have a large number of visitors

What's been attempted so far
-Added Loop guard to the affected front line switch (1071 Admissions) to no avail
-Removed RSTP from the affected ports on said switch (1071 Admissions)
-Limited the available bandwidth on the Guest SSID to 10% of all available bandwidth

Where else should I be looking? What do you advise?

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you only using Meraki switches, or do you have some other vendors of switches?

You should not need to disable RSTP.  RSTP should only kick in if there are switching loops.  Have you go any deliberate loops in your network?

ToddOCS
Comes here often

How are your ports set up on your (I'm assuming) Meraki switches that connect to one of the AP's? Are they trunk or access, and have you got a native VLAN set up if it is a trunk?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

-The issues seem to ramp up when we have a large number of visitors

I would also recommend bandwidth shaping as well. Just a thought. 

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels