IPv6 functionality or not

RobMcLean
Getting noticed

IPv6 functionality or not

I know IPv6 is an ongoing issue, but I wanted to see if I could get some clarification.

I have 3 switches (120, 125, and a 220), 4 MR33 APs, and an MX84.  IPv6 bridging is enabled.  

I also have a Win 2019 DHCP server setup to hand out IPv6 addresses.

According to documentation, the MS switches should be able to pass IPv6 traffic, but nothing on the network seems to be pulling address from the server.  And no other clients are reporting IPv6 addresses in the clients view, except the server.

Thoughts?

9 Replies 9
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobMcLean I have IPv6 at home with a network that consists of an MS220, MR55 and MR56, however the addresses are not assigned by DHCP but the more common (for IPv6) Stateless AutoConfiguration:

cmr_0-1615571248135.png

If I look at the switch it has an IPv6 private/public IP and a gateway (that goes somewhere) but the ISP doesn't provide IPv6 DNS that does break quite a lot of functionality for Windows clients...

cmr_1-1615571548535.png

RobMcLean
Getting noticed

All my devices MS and MR say:

LAN IPV6

Not configured

How do I configure IPv6?

Have you got your MS and MR set to DHCP an address?

If so, how confident are you that your DHCPv6 server is actually working?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth all are set on DHCP for IPv4 and Auto for IPv6.  When I go to sites that report your IP (Meraki dashboard for example) they report traffic is sourced from an IPv6 address.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobMcLean if you unplug the server from the network and plug a notebook in directly point to point - can it get an IPv6 address from the DHCPv6 server?

All the internal devices are set to DHCP.  It appears the Meraki devices were pulling IPs from the MX.  I switched them over to the server.  IPv4 DHCP works great.

The server is a VM, so no unplugging it.  But I do know other VMs on the host pull IPv6 just fine.

I'm going to have to see if I can do some more testing to see if DHCP is passing out the host vSwitches.

Question: Will IPv6 pass through the network if the switches don't have IPv6 addresses?

>Question: Will IPv6 pass through the network if the switches don't have IPv6 addresses?

Within the same VLAN, yes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/IPv6_Device_Compatibility 

I can see IPv6 Multicast traffic making it to the server VM (client --> FF02::FB) but no other IPv6 traffic is being generated.  I tried doing some IPv6 pings but they all fail.

So either I need to do more research into IPv6, or something else is going on (or not).

Currently my MX84 is providing layer 3.  Could this be why only IP6 multicast is working?  And yes, I can only see traffic from the same VLAN.

If I get a L3 Meraki Switch, will that route IPv6?

I would expect only IPv6 devices in the same layer 2 domain (aka VLAN) to be working.  Otherwise you'll need something that can route IPv6.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels