IPv6 Dual stack support on Meraki MS

ReginaPhalenge
Here to help

IPv6 Dual stack support on Meraki MS

Greetings,

I was watching the IPv6 real-world deployment session from the EMEA Cisco live events and went on to explore IPV6 capabilities for Meraki MX, MS & MR. The MX document mentions that "MX cannot currently function in a native IPv6-only environment.  It is recommended that dual-stack is implemented to leverage IPv6 functionality and management". 

My question here is does Meraki MS support dual stack (IPv4 & IPv6) for smoother transition?

Thank you in advance! 

5 Replies 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The management IP of the MS switches is definitely dual stack, that works without issue.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to say "yes".  I have never used this feature.

PhilipDAth_0-1713293657522.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MS Switches

Cisco Meraki Switches can pass IPv6 traffic, as well as report information on clients using IPv6. Switch clients' IPv6 address and IPv6 address (link local) can be added as columns on the clients usage page. 

Support for IPv6 addresses for switch management is available on MS starting firmware version MS 15.1.

Support for DHCPv6 and IPv6 RA guard is available on MS starting firmware version MS 16.1.

IPv6 ACLs are supported in MS firmware versions 10.0 and newer. Prior to MS 10.0, IPv4 only ACLs were configured on the Switch > IPv4 ACL page. IPv4 and IPv6 access lists are now configured under Switch > Configure > ACL. For more information, reference the Configuring ACLs and Switch ACL Operation articles.

Note: MS22/42/220/320 do not support IPv6 Access Lists at this time.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/IPv6_Device_Compatibility

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just played with this further.  The above screenshot was from a C9300.  I just tried this on several other MSs and they didn't have that option.

So my guess is that IPv6 on MS is only supported on the C9300 when it comes to layer 3 routing.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From the 15.1 release notes we have the below confirming that when the management interface support was added to MS and CS (MS390 at the time), IPv6 routing was only added to CS switches:

Branch additions

• IPv6 static routing support for MS390 series switches
  • IPv6 management interface support
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels