How to "un-stack" 2 Meraki MS-425s

u4iia
Conversationalist

How to "un-stack" 2 Meraki MS-425s

We have 2 Meraki MS-425s that are stacked physically via the 40GB Stacking ports on the front.  We have a Nutanix (hyper-converged) cluster cross connected to both switches.  We have a total of 4 10GB aggregated (2 per sw) connections going north bound. 

Originally we physically stacked the switches because we were using L3 Routing.  We are no longer using L3 routing. Further, we need to be able to upgrade these switches one at a time.  If we upgrade the MS425 in a stacked configuration they update almost simultaneously hence we will drop storage (bad things happen).  We have had to have Meraki manually "PIN" the upgrades and kick off the upgrade one switch at time in order to upgrade the FW.  Is there an easy way out of this besides a long maintenance window (complete shutdown of of the cluster and MS425's)? 

3 REPLIES 3
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@u4iia you can break a network switch upgrade into stages now.  Once you schedule the upgrade there is an option under Switch / Staged Upgrades where you can edit the schedule and add additional upgrade windows:

Screenshot_20211028-092325_Chrome.jpg

I have successfully used this on a stack of three MS355X switches to upgrade the master first and then the other two switches 5 minutes later.  I was onsite and it did follow the plan with no obvious negative issues.

I have also used it on non-stacked switches many times without a problem.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks for that one @cmr , didn’t know that was possible! 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
u4iia
Conversationalist

Very cool!  Thank you!  I will check it out.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels