How to configure an OSPF for an EPL link

JasenSesco
New here

How to configure an OSPF for an EPL link

I am looking to use my L3 switches to connect our main office to our DR site.  It looks as easy as flipping OSPF on, however, do I need to create a new VLAN for the transport?  Do I have to put the remote VLANS in both switches?  The EPL connection is a Comcast product that acts like a really long ethernet cable.  It isn't like MPLS that has addresses assigned to it.  I have the two switches connected and I can see the HQ traffic on the DR site port, but I know I need to setup something to differentiate them as the 2 networks have different addressing on them.  I have looked over the Meraki documentation, but haven't seen exactly what I am looking for.  To complicate it a tad, when the EPL link is down, we want the VPN to take over, which is how it is currently configured.  Can anyone lend some assistance?  I have an MS355 at HQ connected to an MS250 at our remote location, both on fiber sfps.

1 REPLY 1
Brons2
Building a reputation

My setup was similar when I didn't have our datacenter network behind the (non Meraki MX) firewall.  My MS425s were doing OSPF between themselves and Cisco ASRs, and whatever the datacenter vendor had on their end.  I used a transport network, as you mentioned, between the Meraki and ASR, and then another transport network between the ASR and the datacenter vendor's equipment.  I did not extend the internal VLANs beyond the MS425s, but I did advertise the subnets contained within the VLANs to OSPF so everything participating in the OSPF area had the information about which router had (for example) the 10.1.2.0/24 network.

It took a bit of fiddling the first time to get it to work, but the problems ended up being speed/duplex between the Meraki gear and the ASR.  The aforementioned MS425s replaced an old Catalyst 6509.

I have now moved the datacenter network behind the firewall, as we bought some larger firewall boxes, so now FW vendor P is handling OSPF.  But I would not hesitate to use OSPF on Meraki again if I had a need for it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels