How often do Meraki Devices send data up to the cloud?

mike_dano
Comes here often

How often do Meraki Devices send data up to the cloud?

I've been using Meraki APs for years now and knew that the data was not real-time between what we see in the dashboard and what's going on right this minute. This has never really been an issue until now. We are starting to do a proof of concept rollout of Meraki switches. I've noticed in my testing that once a device connects to the switch it might be up to 10-15 minutes before the device shows up in the dashboard. Since we are using Cisco ISE as a radius server for 802.1x Auth on the ports it's even a bigger issue when the connected device does a CoA and moves the VLAN it's connected on. I've looked and do not see any settings that would allow us to set the interval for these updates. Is this possible or are we just at the mercy of whenever these check-in? if this is the issue I'm curious how people are handling this and if they have any workarounds to keep the dashboard more up-to-date.

2 REPLIES 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@mike_dano the clients only show up in the dashboard once they try to communicate with the internet.  Therefore some clients take a while to appear.  Is this possibly what you are seeing?

mike_dano
Comes here often

If this means that when the client is only communicating with our internal network that it would not update the dashboard then yes that might be what we are seeing. Some of these client devices only communicate with our own servers since we have internal DNS and they are using that to find our internal resources. If the device  connected to the switches has to reach out to the internet for the dashboard to update its status that could be an issue for us, as we have some devices that have no internet access at all.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels