High rate of STP topology changes

jkuwarrior
Here to help

High rate of STP topology changes

We we have 2 L3's in a stack that act as root for the STP. Then 4 L2 switches below that. All of the 4 L2 switches are warning me of a high rate of STP topology changes. 3 of those L2 switches don't have anything in event log from the 15th up till now. One of them has logs up to this AM around 830. The configurations on all the equipment has not changed in a long time, since before I came to this company. Since I started here we have been working from home, I started on what this company calls, covid day, the day the ceo sent everyone to work from home. Now everyone is hybrid, so a few days a week in the office (~2-3 days at most)

We did have a big power outage last week for ~18hrs (nasty nasty storms) and the battery backups didnt last long enough to keep everything online. I came in over the weekend to double check everything and get everything back online and my VM's. After I got the VM's back online (which host our dns/dhcp) I was able to connect but dns was having issues still and after all my fixing to get that running, last thing I had to do to get it to work, for some odd reason, was to reboot my network appliances. So I started at the bottom with the AP's and rebooted those and boom my dns and everything started working. LAN it was not so I rebooted the switches one by one and then it all started working again. Later that night is when I noticed the high rate of STP topology changes messages on all my L2's. Ive done packet captures and gone through them in WireShark and I am not sure if I am understanding them correctly but I am not seeing much info. 

FYI - I am still fairly new to the meraki systems and I dont know alot as to how the STP topology works on these but I know vague basics. 

So any help would be greatly appreciated ladies and gents. 

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think I would schedule a reboot of the switches.

Thanks Phillip. I am planning a reboot this evening when everyone that is there today, leaves the office. I will reboot from the bottom ms l2 switches on up to the L3 switches and then even reboot the MX's as well this time. And see if that resolves this STP shenanigans.

One thing I forgot to add yesterday when creating this, I did notice that 3 of the L2 switches only have event logs up until the 15th and nothing new than that. Oh and these are the errors I was seeing in the log with the STP stuff. (The power outage started the 12th and ended midday on the 13th. The 4th L2 switch shows events up until the 18th around 830am. Below picture is a log from the bottom L2 switch in the stack. Hope this helps more.

jkuwarrior_0-1629375744885.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels