Enabling switch after applying a template

Charlie
Getting noticed

Enabling switch after applying a template

Let me try and set the stage for you.
I have a Meraki MX84 with a MS225-48 port switch plugged in. I am using a Xfinity/Comcast internet connection.
MX84 right out of the box connects to the Meraki dashboard with no problem. Out of the box it uses a 192.168.128.0/24 single VLAN.

I plug my MS on Port1 to the MX on port3 (MX84)port3------port1(MS225). This seems fine and both devices connect to the dashboard are manageable remotely.

So now I have my template that distributes vlans as such:
Vlan10 10.244.100.0/24
Vlan20 – 10.244.200.0/24
Vlan50- 10.244.300.0/24

My MX template has ports 3-4 setup as my management trunk with native vlan 50 (to connect my switch on my mgmt vlan)
My MS switch profile is set to use ports 1-4 as uplink trunks on vlan 50

When I apply the template my switch does not seem to want to connect and gives an error of bad IP information.
Now mind you I am doing this remotely because I have 100s of these sitting in the “default configuration” I mentioned earlier. Getting errors saying that my switch is on vlan1 but the vlan feeding it is vlan50. I tried to change it via dashboard but does not seem like it takes the change because of course it’s upstream connection is now not working.

I hope that made sense in my explanation. My question is how do I apply my templates and still get my switch to grab one of my new IPs from my template? Do I need to change the switch ports config to vlan 50 and apply (while I have a connection) then apply my template? Sounds like if I do that I might drop my switch anyways but might then be in a state where it will grab an IP address after I apply my template.

Forgot to mention that I am using a DHCP passthru in the template pointing back to my internal DHCP server. Not using the local DHCP services on the MX.

Thanks

2 Replies 2
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am a little confused, are you able to draw a rough diagram. Are your switches using the latest firmware?

Hope this helps.  Meraki.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels