Downlink - Identification & Alert

Kenny_Benzing
Here to help

Downlink - Identification & Alert

Has Meraki thought about adding an icon on the Downlink ports the way that they do Uplink ports? Something like a downward arrow instead of an upward arrow? Also, an alert in a red banner, same as uplink ports, when you are modifying the port. I don't see it as critical, but I think it would be a nice feature to easily identify the ports without checking each individual one. 

5 REPLIES 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kenny_Benzing I'm presuming you mean for Meraki devices such as other switches or APs.  I'm not sure how it would cope with meshing and redundant connections though? i.e. our switches generally have two ports connected to other switches with one port blocked by spanning tree.  The upstream devices don't know if the other device is blocking...

Yes, I do mean other Meraki devices, primarily switches. 

How are you connecting your switches? Are they stacked or are you trunking the ports? I don't know that stacked switches really applies to what I'm asking here, more or less when you're looking at the "switch ports" and the digital view shows you which ports are live, using PoE, uplink, etc...that perhaps they could have an identifier for the downlink to the next switch? I also think RTSP should list the port connections between each device, but that's a whole different discussion. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Kenny_Benzing for the switches, neither.  A is connected to B, B is connected to C and C is connected back to A.  Therefore if any switch goes down the others remain connected.  A, B or C may be individual switches or stacks.

We do use port channels at one site and the recent 9000 series monitoring mode snafu deleted them all and took the whole site down... 🤦🏻‍♂️

@cmr ok...so when you are looking at the switch ports for Switch B, you will see a port identified as the "uplink" to switch A but nothing indicating which one goes to Switch C. However, when you look at the ports for Switch C, it has a port marked as an Uplink to Switch B....make sense? The Uplinks are very clearly marked, but not the downlinks. It would be nice to have that on both ends.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agreed, it would be useful if done reliably 👍

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels