Does Meraki support Dying Gasp?

combobulated
Getting noticed

Does Meraki support Dying Gasp?

Can a Meraki switch produce a dying gasp alert if the power fails?  Some other Cisco products can produce this.

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think this is very unlikely.

Not supported today, but please make you use case(s) known with your Meraki or Meraki Partner/Reseller so they can get this info back to the MS team and make decisions and prioritize new feature development accordingly.

macdaddy
Conversationalist

I think this is a rather critical feature, especially for MSPs.  With some form of OAM Dying Gasp coupled with the TDR test from the MSs, I can tell if a customer unplugged a MR from my MS or if it lost power (AC adapter).  I can tell if my a MS in a remote closet lost power or if someone unplugged/cut the uplink cable.  I can tell if my MX lost power or if the upstream is down again.  Dying Gasp is the difference between an unnecessary truck roll or answering a phone call from the customer with knowledge in-hand that a given device lost power, not failed.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As the device must check into the Dashboard to update the information you can see - it will make no difference having dying gasp support - because you wont be able to determine the cause until it has connectivity again - by which time you have already solved the problem.

That's actually the point of the Dying Gasp feature in OAM.  It tells you as the device is dying.  Hence dying gasp.  If the device detects that the PSU(s) have lost input power, it can send a syslog, SNMP trap, or EOAM message before the device's control-plane fails, alerting an NMS or in the case of EOAM or OAM, the upstream device.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels