Does MS350-24X mGig support 802.3an ?

Sakul
Getting noticed

Does MS350-24X mGig support 802.3an ?

MS350-24X has eight of mGig RJ45 ports. On the Server side is Intel X550-AT2 (10Base-T) NIC.

My customer worries that since mGig is Cisco proprietary protocol, will it be compatible with standard 10Base-T ?  

On the Intel X550-AT2, I can search for information easily, it supports 802.3an, 802.3az, P802.3bz/D1.1

But I cannot find such information from Meraki side... whether Meraki mGig support 802.3an, az ... ?

5 REPLIES 5
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

In my experience the mGig ports on the MS350-24X switches will negotiate 10Gbps with a 10GBase-T interface - should all work fine.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

10GbaseT will work fine in an MGig port.  A 10baseT port will not work.

MGig is not proprietary.  It is an implementation of 802.3bz (also known as NBASE-T).

Now for something funny.  The Intel X550-AT2 IS an NBASE-T NIC.  BUT only the Linux drivers enabled his hardware capability.  Check out the spec sheet.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/network-io/ethernet/controllers/x550-at2.html 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth is correct 10Base-T won’t work. I misread it - didn’t think anyone still used 10Base-T 😀

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You'd be surprised that NEW IoT devices sometimes used in hospitals can still use 10Mbps half duplex.  I recently had a customer who bought catalyst multigig switches to find out these devices would not go up.  After testing with an older switch we found out the nic's only supported 10  half....

You really got to hand it to industrial and medical gear to stick to extremely old standards.

Sakul
Getting noticed

@Bruce @PhilipDAth @GIdenJoe 
I am very sorry. It was my typo. I meant X550-AT2 (10GBase-T).
Your inputs are very helpful. Thanks again all and the community.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels