DHCP Behaviour on Meraki MS130

razortas
Just browsing

DHCP Behaviour on Meraki MS130

Hi,

wondering if someone on here can alert me to the reason why a meraki ms130 using dhcp on a single vlan for its mangement, which is detailed via the cloud connection as correct, is actually being asssigned a dhcp address for each vlan on the trunk port according to my dhcp servers.

4 Replies 4
IvanJukic
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @razortas

DHCP Discover messages will be broadcast out on every VLAN in order to get an IP Address from any server that is listening in those VLANs. For a micro-period, it can be possible, depending on the VLAN design. However, these should be sorted, once the clients get a valid lease. The client should stop broadcast the DHCP Discover message.

Need to find out more information. So, in your circumstance;

Is the MS130 continually sending DHCP messages for an IP Address?
If so, how often and what is the lease time set to in the DHCP Server?
Which VLANs is the DHCP server leasing IP address?
Which VLAN is set for Switch Management?

Cheers,
Ivan

As @IvanJukic mentioned I've seen this occur on initial MS deployment and it should go away/age out. You should also be able to delete the unnecessary leases at any point.

Thanks @Ryan_Miles . Forgot to mention the deletion of leases.

Its still happening?  this has been going on for a week now ! The desired management vlan is 251 - which is the lease (ip related to cloud mangement) and its lease period is 3days, however it will bind but then after the Other vlans on trunk which are 252-257 lease time 8hours also bind, 251 goes back into a waiting state and doesnt rebind unless i can manage to manually delete all the others, but then again! it can be bound on the correct vlan and then the process just recurs, with it picking up ip's on the other vlans etc

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels