Connecting 2 Switches Via SFP Port

AustinZaletel
New here

Connecting 2 Switches Via SFP Port

I work for a small private school and we have a Meraki switch, firewall and Wireless system. I have a MS120-24 (Connected to our main hub with SFP Based Fiber) in one of our buildings and have recently purchased and MS120-8FP to power some new outdoor access points that we are installing to beef up our wireless coverage in COVID times. 

I was hoping to connect one of the spare SFP ports from our MS120-24 to the MS120-8 to provide the connection, but the new 8 port switch still is dormant. How do I configure my SFP ports to share a connection?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Austin,

I do not see any challenges with this connectivity. This should work unless there is an issue with fiber/module.

As you know the Meraki devices will appear dormant on the dashboard until they start communicating with the Meraki Cloud. I understand we shall look towards resolving this.

A few ideas could be?

1. Check the Uplink port configuration/status on MS120-24.

2. Maybe you can try to connect the MS120-8 directly to one of the copper ports on MS120-24 port to see if the device is able to communicate with the cloud.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels