Connect 2 MS355-48X2 Switches with QSFP+ Cable?

Solved
amwjoe
Here to help

Connect 2 MS355-48X2 Switches with QSFP+ Cable?

We are working on implementing 2 MS355-48X2 servers in our Datacenter soon and slipped my mind about the QSFP+ ports on these.

These switches will have their own uplink to our FortiGate firewalls and servers will have NIC1 going to SW1 and NIC2 going to SW2 on the 2 MS355's. I won't be stacking these to avoid downtime during firmware upgrades but should I use the QSFP+ so that connectivity between the 2 switches will be able to take advantage of the 40GB speeds?

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I particularly see the benefit if you have traffic that justifies this speed. If not, I see it as unnecessary, but as I said, if it won't generate any additional costs there's no problem, especially because I believe that having a guaranteed higher speed is not a problem, correct?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's not that you should, if you think it makes sense I don't see a problem. If it's something you have available and it won't generate any additional costs, go ahead.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

amwjoe
Here to help

Thanks - I probably need to rephrase my question.

Will I see performance benefits by using the QSFP+ between these 2 switches? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I particularly see the benefit if you have traffic that justifies this speed. If not, I see it as unnecessary, but as I said, if it won't generate any additional costs there's no problem, especially because I believe that having a guaranteed higher speed is not a problem, correct?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you aggregate the two QSFP+ ports then you have a highly available 80Gbps inter-switch link, sounds good to me.

amwjoe
Here to help

Thank you both. I'll put 1 maybe 2 for a highly available inter-switch link. Assuming I wouldn't have issues with setting up 2?

Another question while on this - I'm assuming when I use a QSFP+ port, it'll disable the uplink on one of the switches to my Fortigate. For example: If SW1's QSFP+ becomes the uplink to SW2 and when I do a firmware update or reboot on SW1, will SW2 connections notice any interruptions? 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In theory, if you have redundancy in Uplinks, there is no reason to have any kind of unavailability.

Do you have a network topology just to check that all your connections are redundant?

amwjoe
Here to help

Here's what we'd be looking to setup (arrow for the QSFP+ can be disregarded but just representing the link). I'm more so referring to the time between it takes to release the QSFP+ as the uplink and failover to its individual uplink. 

amwjoe_0-1696878703934.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Prefect, if whatever is below the switches has a connection to each one of them, I believe it is enough to not have unavailability in the case of scheduled maintenance.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels