Configuring MS410-16 physical stack of switches

GreeNdeviCp3821
Comes here often

Configuring MS410-16 physical stack of switches

Hey everyone,

Was following this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKDHnZzkJ8I

And I'm having trouble with the switches to show up as a stack automatically on this page (as noted in the video link at timestamp 2:06): 

GreeNdeviCp3821_0-1657224353609.png

Both switches are the same model, on the same firmware (14.33.1) and the stacking cables are identical. The cables are EQUAL brand, model: MA-CBL-40G-1M-EO

I also have the cable from stackport 1 of the primary switch, going into stackport 2 of the secondary switch, and the second cable going into stackport 1 of the secondary switch, going into stackport 2 of the primary switch.

The port itself says it's "Disconnected". Any help in trying to get this physical stack to work would be super appreciative.

Thank you all in advance for your help and insights.

7 Replies 7
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The video has everything you need, if the stack doesn't come up, I would advise opening a case with support to doublecheck the switch's configuration or it could be a layer 1 issue. Which switches are you using?

Hey @Make_IT_Simple, thank you for responding. I'm using two MS410-16 switches for this physical stacking setup.

It should be a simple task. Just power off both switches and make sure the stacking cables are properly connected, then connect them back. 410s are compatible with 40Gb so it should work as simple as that. Did you purchase the cables from Meraki? are they new? were they tested before? DM me the serial number of one of the switches.

Yes, the cables are new but they're from a company called EQUAL. I sent you the info you had asked me.

Never had an issue with stacking switches.  Could be your stacking cables. Do you have any other Meraki (MA-CBL-40G-50Cm) cables kicking around?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Unfortunately I don't, but I also did try swapping the cable ends into the opposite ports, nothing. It might be the cable, but I just want to be sure (configuration-wise) before ordering another set and having the same issue.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GreeNdeviCp3821 I'd get at least one genuine cable (the 40Gb ones aren't very expensive).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels