Change port type in local device page

SOLVED
PeteStan
Here to help

Change port type in local device page

Hi,

Is it possible to change the port type (access to trunk or vice versa) from the local device page or is a factory reset the only option? I had a look around on the local device page, but I couldn't see this as an option on the switch ports configuration tab.

Example - if the uplink port type was changed from trunk to access and broke connection to the internet. It would be easier to just change port type back again from the local access page rather than factory resetting the switch.

Thanks,

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Here's my take on this...

In case a configuration change causes connection loss to the cloud the switch would do the following:

MS

• If the configuration is safe
    • MS will never reboot
  • If the configuration is not safe
    • MS will try to obtain an IP address on an alternate VLAN and then connect to the cloud through that alternate connection
    • MS will revert to previous safe configuration 2 hours after lost connectivity
    • After reverting to a safe configuration, the former configuration will be marked bad

So worst case if it can't connect to the cloud over another VLAN it knows about it would revert to the correct config after two hours. That said, in the local status page you can change the native VLAN. If you change it to a VLAN that can get out to the internet I suppose the issue would also be resolved.

More info about connection loss:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conn...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Here's my take on this...

In case a configuration change causes connection loss to the cloud the switch would do the following:

MS

• If the configuration is safe
    • MS will never reboot
  • If the configuration is not safe
    • MS will try to obtain an IP address on an alternate VLAN and then connect to the cloud through that alternate connection
    • MS will revert to previous safe configuration 2 hours after lost connectivity
    • After reverting to a safe configuration, the former configuration will be marked bad

So worst case if it can't connect to the cloud over another VLAN it knows about it would revert to the correct config after two hours. That said, in the local status page you can change the native VLAN. If you change it to a VLAN that can get out to the internet I suppose the issue would also be resolved.

More info about connection loss:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conn...

Thanks BrechtSchamp. That makes perfect sense and thanks for the link!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels