Catalyst Transceivers

Ritchie
Getting noticed

Catalyst Transceivers

Hi guys, did you try to use cisco Catalyst tranceiver like GLC-SX-MMD on meraki switch?

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't personally tried it.  Meraki don't lock out SFPs made by other vendors - they just don't support them or make any commitment about them working or continuing to work.

Typically the Cisco Enterprise ones are ok.

@Ritchie Yes, they work.  They are technically 3rd party transceivers and as @PhilipDAth mentioned Meraki does not lock out 3rd party optics.  I have also seen non-Cisco SFPs work fine in Meraki devices, but that is definitely unsupported, and I've also seen less expensive 3rd party transceivers work rather poorly compared to the Cisco/Meraki models, which are more expensive but also superior quality.  Sounds like a sales pitch but I've seen it with my own eyes on several occasions.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Tried it just for fun as well and it worked, as the others said already.

@MerakiDave are the Cisco SFPs supported or all non-Merakis aren´t?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@MarcP wrote:

Tried it just for fun as well and it worked, as the others said already.

@MerakiDave are the Cisco SFPs supported or all non-Merakis aren´t?

At this moment there's no distinction between Cisco transceivers and 3d party transceivers.

As mentioned before Meraki doesn't restrict using them and they generally work. But that doesn't mean they're "supported". Let's say for example that you have an interface flapping. If support sees you're not using a Meraki transceiver they might ask to test with a Meraki transceiver first.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Ah ok, got it, thanks 😉

@MarcP I'll echo what @BrechtSchamp said, that non-Meraki transceivers are not officially supported, and add that if it's Cisco SFPs (the non MA-xxx product SKUs) running in MS switches, then it's a bit more involved, because the GLC SFP would be covered by the SMARTnet maintenance on a Catalyst switch for example, while the Meraki SFP would be covered by the license keys for the Meraki switches.  They could still be RMA-able but it would be more of a manual process, so in the unlikely event you've got a GLC transceiver failure in an MS switch, open a Meraki Support ticket and reach out directly with your Cisco/Meraki account team to assist.  

@Ritchie let us know if you still have any questions.

joopv
Getting noticed

I have recently seen Cisco GLC-T gigabit utp transceivers in MS210 switches at a large customer site.  Seems to work without issues.

In a MS120-8p i installed 2 cheap gigabit ethernet transceivers from Optcore:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/For-Cisco-Meraki-MA-SFP-1GB-TX-OPTCORE-1000BASE-T-Copper-100m-RJ45-SFP-Modul...

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I have the same SFPs, and they are working on Meraki MS225-48LP Switches.

Mio
Here to help

Yes, Cisco transceivers can work well on Meraki.

Meraki does not lock out third party transceivers. Not only can Cisco work well on Meraki, but also can many third parties have a good compatibility with Meraki.

10Gtek transceivers compatible with Cisco and Meraki. Their products are in a pretty good price. I have had good luck with 10Gtek https://www.sfpcables.com/sfp-transceivers over the years.

Maybe u can have a try.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Ye 10GTek is working well on mine MS225-48LP.

Even the 10 Gig copper SFP from 10GTek is working (Cisco has no 10 Gig copper SFP!).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels