Applying a hostname to an MS120-24P

DunJer622
Building a reputation

Applying a hostname to an MS120-24P

Greetings,

Can a hostname be applied to a Meraki switch?  I know you can do it with the routers, but I'm not seeing a way to do it with the switch (MS120).  While you don't really need it within the Meraki dashboard, I'm looking to be able to apply a consistent naming convention for my Meraki devices, per site.  Those hostnames will then be listed within our DNS servers and used by a separate (non-Meraki) monitoring and reporting tool.

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Jeremy

5 REPLIES 5
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The name you supply for any Meraki device in Dashboard is used as the DNS hostname for the device (although additional characters are added - take a look at your DNS entries assuming you allow dynamic registration). See attached screenshot for where you name a switch on the individual switch page in Dashboard. Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.16.07 PM.png

MRCUR | CMNO #12
DunJer622
Building a reputation

I thought this may be the case, but the name doesn't resolve or respond to ping, even when directly connected to the router (MX65).  This suggests to me that the name is simply cosmetic.  The hostname associated with the MX65 is resolvable and pingable.  I'll have to look more into the MS120 to see if I'm blocking something.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The device name configured in Dashboard is appended with the device's MAC to create the hostname. 

Here's the PTR record for the device I took a screenshot of: test-ms225-0c8ddba48c28.domain.com

MRCUR | CMNO #12
DunJer622
Building a reputation

The domain name isn't provided.  Is it the the domain name that is generated on the router? 

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Right, because it's the domain I'm running on my DNS server. 

The devices will register in DNS if you allow dynamic updates on your DNS server. The domain suffix is provided as a DHCP option. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels