Adding an existing switch connected via CAT6 to a stack

ADMack
Conversationalist

Adding an existing switch connected via CAT6 to a stack

What issues if any, will we run into when adding a switch currently connected via cat6 to a stack? The stack has Layer 3 routing enabled but the other one located in a different area of the suite does not have Layer 3 enabled. We will have a maintenance window to move it and add it to the stack. Actually we are rearranging everything so all 4 switches will be offline and brought back up at the same time in a stack configuration. 

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That should be straight forward.

Network-dad
A model citizen

Assuming it is the same kind of switch you'll be just fine and no issues.. Now when you move it into the stack are you still using a cat6 or are you going to use a stacking cable.... Here is Meraki's documentation for switch stacking.  https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#:~:text=Stacking%20Accessories%20datashee...

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

Thank you for the info. We will be using a stacking cable.

Like the article said you can only stack alike switched so as along as there are alike you will have no issues.

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels