Adding MS225 Switch Stack to Cisco S500 switch stack

ManorIT
Comes here often

Adding MS225 Switch Stack to Cisco S500 switch stack

I have an existing Cisco S500 Switch stack that I want to add a Meraki MS225 switch stack to.  I can't get the routing to work.  I can ping the local S500 IP address but nothing else.  Where can I find a cook book configuration to follow?

14 Replies 14
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You cannot stack a SG500 with a MS switch. Are you talking about LACP?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I would like to put my pcs in the meraki switch ports and my phones and other items in the S500 stack and have them talk to each other and the internet.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that configuring a Trunk port should have to be enough.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Recommended_Configuration_for_Trunk_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

ManorIT
Comes here often

I have one, 48 port 225 connected via ethernet to a port on my S500 stack that is enabled for trunking all vlans.  The 225 switch port is also allowing all vlans.  I can ping the gateway (the s500) ip but nothing past that.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you configured the IP on MS switch?

MS Quick-Start

1. Last updated Aug 26, 2021

Quick-Start

If you just want to get started without reading more in-depth information, follow these basic steps:

1. Unpack and mount your switch (desktop or rack mount) and power it on.
  2. Plug any one of the Ethernet or fiber ports into an upstream device on your LAN. The uplink port should have access to a DHCP server and it will also need to be able to communicate with the internet.  
  3. After powering on, your switch will download the latest software. While upgrading, the switch's power LED will flash green/white. Once the switch has checked into the dashboard, the LED will turn green/white. Note: A solid orange light indicates that the device has not checked in with the dashboard yet.
  4. Log in to http://dashboard.meraki.com (For any devices that are used in mainland China, please visit http://dashboard.meraki.cn and create a new network. If you do not yet have a dashboard account, choose "Create an Account") Type in the serial number of your switch (found on the back of the unit) or simply enter your order number. This will create a new switch network.
  5. Make your desired configuration changes under the Switch > Configure section of the dashboard.

For additional switch installation information, please refer to the MS Installation Guides article.

Yes.  Both Switches have IP addresses.  They have the uplink cables between them for stacking and are connected to a trunk port on the SG500-52P stack.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the MS registered on Meraki cloud? Do you have any firewall that could be blocking the communication?

It is registered, claimed and moved to my network.  No firewall blocking traffic.  Interestingly, I broke the Meraki stack and plugged my pc into one and can now ping the world... until i connect to the meraki cloud.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Alright, so you have two MS225 switches stacked, would that be it? Did you configure the physical stack or virtual stack? Can you be more clear with the information please?

ManorIT
Comes here often

It is a physical stack

ManorIT
Comes here often

I have even tried to just connect the MS to the Cisco SG500 stack and it comes up for a while but then stops working.  The light is white and I can see it in the dashboard, just not connectivity.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are probably forgetting something or doing something incorrectly. The problem is that your information is not enough to think about what could be the problem.

ManorIT
Comes here often

I have an MS switch, I connect my PC to port 1 and my uplink to a Cisco SG500 Switch port that is trunked for all VLANs.  I can connect to my switch via switch.meraki.com, it has a static ip address on my 10.10.xx.xx network as does my PC via DHCP.  I can ping the default gateway (the SG500), the DHCP Server on 10.10.11.xx, the 8.8.8.8 address.  I can browse the internet with my pc connected to port 1.  This will last until I change the name, etc. in the dashboard on Meraki.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried open a support case?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels