Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Point Port Configuration for Wired 802.1X

Highlighted
Just browsing

Access Point Port Configuration for Wired 802.1X

Hello

I am looking into implementing 802.1X (Wired and Wireless) currently and am new to its implementation. From what I can see MR APs don't have supplicant support currently. I can see where we configured RADIUS on the SSIDs but am unsure how to configure the switch ports to which APs will connect. Do the ports need to be left open (no 802.1X) or do the APs need to be configured as clients on the RADIUS Server? My preference is to configure 802.1X on all wired ports.

Its is a full Meraki setup (MS Switch and MR APs) with Windows RADIUS Server. Switch and AP addressing is done via DHCP.

Thanks in Advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Re: Access Point Port Configuration for Wired 802.1X

You  can authenticate  them  on their  mac  address.

Highlighted
Just browsing

Thanks.

Do you mean MAB (MAC Authentication Bypass)?

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes,

Or the hybrid if you want just one policy

but i guess  a second policy will be better combined with Multi-Host 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/MS_Switch_Access_Policies_(802.1X)

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

I wouldn't bother using 802.1x for the APs themselves on the MS switch ports.  There is a new feature coming along which will allow an MS to authenticate an attached MR automatically.  I'd wait for that to be released.  When?  I don't know.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.