disabled camera (bad dns)

Solved
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

disabled camera (bad dns)

kYutobi_0-1583499034318.png

I'm just curious as I've read up on some of the similar issues but would anyone really know why this happens? Is it a Meraki thing or a me thing? Please advise.

Enthusiast
1 Accepted Solution
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

message from support:

Hello kYutobi,

As discussed over the phone, MV tries to maintain its connectivity to the dashboard by sending ICMP to 8.8.8.8, ARPing for its gateway device and sending DNS queries to its assigned DNS servers for “meraki.comgoogle.comyahoo.com” every 150 to 300 seconds. If the DNS queries fail at that time, the dashboard connectivity would be marked as bad DNS at that time. 

MV will continue to record/store the video on the local disk, but the live stream may not be available through the dashboard if the MV loses connectivity to the dashboard at that time.

Please see the KB article below for more details:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conn...

Regards,

Chintan Patel
Network Support Engineer | Cisco Meraki

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

message from support:

Hello kYutobi,

As discussed over the phone, MV tries to maintain its connectivity to the dashboard by sending ICMP to 8.8.8.8, ARPing for its gateway device and sending DNS queries to its assigned DNS servers for “meraki.comgoogle.comyahoo.com” every 150 to 300 seconds. If the DNS queries fail at that time, the dashboard connectivity would be marked as bad DNS at that time. 

MV will continue to record/store the video on the local disk, but the live stream may not be available through the dashboard if the MV loses connectivity to the dashboard at that time.

Please see the KB article below for more details:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Behavior_during_Conn...

Regards,

Chintan Patel
Network Support Engineer | Cisco Meraki

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.