Video wall Memory leak/usage?

Matt516
Conversationalist

Video wall Memory leak/usage?

Hi All,

We use a 9 tile video wall for 24/7 patient monitoring and every so often the browsers keep crashing (edge, chrome, and Firefox). We notice that the memory creeps up starting at 5GB and sometimes going as high as 9GB toward the end of the day and then we get a call stating that the browser locks up and the feeds stop.

Is anyone experiencing this issue? or anyone have any tips on how we can refesh the browser maybe every 2 hours?

Thank you,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It seems to work ok for my clients using it.

The other thing it could be is the video driver.  Try making sure that is up to date.  Especially if it is a NVidia driver.

Thank you Philip, and you're using it for 24/7 "always on" setup?

Right now we're testing the rig using the onboard graphics via intel, but we also are testing with an nvidia 1030 card (hope that card is good the requirements says "mid-range" card), so far both methods seem to yield the same results.

Thank you,

Matt

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think it is left open 24x7, but is used maybe 16 hours a day.

I don't think it will run at all well using the onboard graphics.  Not enough grunt.  How heavily used does Task Manager show your GPU?  Note that not all GPUs report correctly here ...

You might find the internal GPU is running out of capacity destabilising the system.

PhilipDAth_0-1641502425763.png

For your size wall, I usually sell clients a workstation with a built-in NVidia P1000 and an i7 CPU.  Go for 16GB of RAM as well to keep the web browser and NVidia driver happy.  If you want to use the computer for other things, add more.

Once you get to a video wall with 8 or more cameras you need a graphics card with excellent hardware video decoding.

A NVidia 1030 is pretty low spec ... I would not feel too confident with that.  You need something that can decode a minimum of 9 video streams (plus you want some grunt left over to use the computer as a desktop).

This seems to be official info from NVidia about hardware decoding performance.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix/64780

Hi Philip, yeah GPU seems much better so currently, with the 1030 GPU it's about 50% usage (50% showing 3D and 20% for decoding and the memory is at about 24%, over time though we were noticing the memory go up slowly over time. we're currently testing using firefox at the moment and it seems like it's not going up as fast as chrome.

we can see about bumping up the GPU, but what exactly is mid-range?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In the NVidia family, you have the 1000, 2000 and 3000 series.  I would have thought something in the 2000 series would be considered mid-range.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/ 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is some Meraki guidance on appropriate workstation hardware for viewing the video streams.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Advanced_Configuration/Hardware_Guidelines_for_MV_Video_Wall_Wor... 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We found that 1050Ti is about the minimum for 9x HD feeds or 16/25 SD feeds.  A 1070 or 2060 is better for more HD feeds or 4k feeds in our experience.  And as @PhilipDAth said, don't be using the workstation for anything else and install 16GB RAM.

Matt516
Conversationalist

Thank you All,

So funny enought we had the wall running over the weekend on integrated graphics and switched to firefox and the stability is 10x better then chrome and edge, we're probably going to install the GPU we have and give it the same test and see what the memory usage does.

I appreciate all the input!!

Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.