Video Wall Idle timeout?

SOLVED
DCrab
Here to help

Video Wall Idle timeout?

I'd like the video wall shown continuously without being auto-logged off after the idle time. Is there no way to set this up per user?  How does one continuously display the cameras?

There was no answer in 2018.. am hoping 3 years later they've tackled this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We are running all macOS environment for this.. The Vision portal does not seem to run particularly well on either Safari or Firefox..extremely.. I mean, *extremely* slow.    I'd prefer not to run Chrome on this machine for performance and security reasons. 

The Video Wall feature does not work on Safari nor Firefox and there is no 'install' option to install it as a PWA. I think Safari has very limited support for PWAs and by some readings, it looks like Firefox is dropping some of its PWA support.. 

Its weird that the video wall feature works from the dashboard in Safari or Firefox, but not from the Vision Portal on either browser..

Meraki should bite the bullet and look for a cross-platform development tool for macOS/Windows/Linux.

Is the Vision Portal not under the control of the dashboard?  That is, if I'm running the Vision Portal link, will it log me off after the idle time.. ? It appears that the URL is identical in the domain .. so I'm not sure the Portal would be a solution anyway.. The docs don't mention the idletimeout in this portal feature. Hard to believe they haven't found a solution in 4 years.. 

I’ll mark this as the solution. But really there is no solution for this issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Have you looked at the Merkai Vision Portal/Vision app?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Using_the_Meraki_Vision_Portal_(Beta)

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

We are running all macOS environment for this.. The Vision portal does not seem to run particularly well on either Safari or Firefox..extremely.. I mean, *extremely* slow.    I'd prefer not to run Chrome on this machine for performance and security reasons. 

The Video Wall feature does not work on Safari nor Firefox and there is no 'install' option to install it as a PWA. I think Safari has very limited support for PWAs and by some readings, it looks like Firefox is dropping some of its PWA support.. 

Its weird that the video wall feature works from the dashboard in Safari or Firefox, but not from the Vision Portal on either browser..

Meraki should bite the bullet and look for a cross-platform development tool for macOS/Windows/Linux.

Is the Vision Portal not under the control of the dashboard?  That is, if I'm running the Vision Portal link, will it log me off after the idle time.. ? It appears that the URL is identical in the domain .. so I'm not sure the Portal would be a solution anyway.. The docs don't mention the idletimeout in this portal feature. Hard to believe they haven't found a solution in 4 years.. 

I’ll mark this as the solution. But really there is no solution for this issue.

Saralyn
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@DCrab I have what I hope is good news for you. Earlier this week, the Vision portal was released in GA (here's a link to the community post about it) with several stability improvements, as well as new features. One of the updates made was to ignore idle timeout on the video wall when viewing in full screen. Have you had a chance to try it out yet? Let us know if you are still having concerns. 

yes.. just checked it out.. the portal works much better on my Mac/Safari browser. I also really like the DeWarp option on one of our fisheye cameras.. nice

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.