Real-time Delay

Banfield75
Getting noticed

Real-time Delay

Hi

Could you tell the delay you experience on a on-prem computer connected through cable, camera model and firmware version?I experience 6 second delay on a MV72 that is updated to version 4.

Why is it so long delay compare to other vendors as Logitech ore Unifi? 

The entire network is Meraki. Switch, firewall, wireless and camera. 

Still there is a issue with delay when you are connected to the network.

How come? 

8 REPLIES 8
Mahi_Meraki_guy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki uses technology called HTTP live streaming. It cuts down the requirement to have an additional piece of software to view the video but also introduces this small buffering delay. Due to how HLS functions, there is a small buffering period which leads to a slight delay in the video stream. For local direct streams, this delay can be 5-10 seconds. 

For more info check this documentation. https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Video_Streaming

But HLS now support Low Latency RFC since last year. Why isn´t it added Low Latency if client support it?

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/502/

Because non of the common web browsers support it yet.

Philip How could it "hurt" Meraki to support the latest RFC when the protocol offering a backwards compatibility with existing web browser? This is what customers pay for, to be "able" to use and offering the latest technology. 

It wont hurt - in fact it could already support it - we don't know because there is no web browser we can use to test it.

I found this article regarding Low Latency HLS 😞

"Despite all the modifications to HLS, Apple Low Latency HLS still results in latency from 3 - 7 seconds. As we’ve stated again and again –and again– seconds of latency will always be too high for fully interactive, real-time live streaming.

Furthermore, since ALHSL is controlled by Apple, it is NOT a community-based standard. Thus solutions built around Apple Low Latency HLS may face issues if Apple decides to make any changes to how it works as any changes won’t be subject to community review or debate.

Lastly, the implementation of ALHSL is more complex than Community Low Latency HLS without real-time latency results."

EJN
A model citizen

When we first installed (Summer 2019), we had 8-10 second delay. Since about December, we have 3-4 second delay. I just tested as I type this and got 3 seconds on MV22 (Direct LAN, High Bitrate).

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

Over the last couple of months or so, I've noticed our MV21 cameras seem to take more time to display on our video wall compared to in the past. MV12s always seem to load a lot faster.

The MV21s will start black and then load after a short amount of time. Firmware is MV 4.0

Anyone experience anything similar to this?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.