RH in a comms room

JonP
Getting noticed

RH in a comms room

Hello Community,

Hope you're all doing well. 

Over the last few days our RH in the comms room has been creeping up to around 70%. We know this thanks to our MT10 we've placed in there.

My question is - is this ok? At what point do I need to worry about RH? We've set thresholds but they're a little arbitrary at the moment!

JonP_0-1653307797243.png

2 REPLIES 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@JonP I'd say anything less than 85% is fine, though checking the MS355 datasheet, you can go up to 95%...

Environment
Operating temperature: 0°C to 45°C
Humidity: 5 to 95% non-condensing
Variable speed fans

David-H
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@JonP as cmr mentioned, always refer to the datasheet to find the operating conditions of your hardware. 

Once you know the operating conditions, you can visualize your data points relative to these conditions with the energy saving charts feature. These charts compare temperature on the x-axis vs. humidity on the y-axis. You can adjust the boundary conditions to closer resemble your hardware by playing with setting menu in the top right hand corner. 

DavidH_0-1653399128969.png

These charts can effectively do two things.

1. Identify areas of extreme temperature/humidity that could lead to potential hardware issues. These can be caused by poor airflow, incorrect HVAC setpoints/logic, or other related issues. 
  2. Identify an opportunity to save on energy by safely increasing the temperature and humidity levels. Many times IT spaces are "overcooled" in an effort to ensure equipment reliability, however air conditioning is very energy intensive. The energy saving charts help you visualize opportunities to run the HVAC less often and safely increase the temperature of the room, without decreasing reliability. 
    1. For this strategy to be effective, make sure you have temperature sensors very close to the equipment inlet, rather than just on the wall of the room. 

Here are a few resources if you want to learn more
Energy saving chart documentation

Sustainability whitepaper

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.