MT10 goes offline

TEAM-ind
Getting noticed

MT10 goes offline

I have an MT10 that goes offline for hours and causes a "red" indicator on the network to which it belongs.  I have opened a support case and they emailed me a link to troubleshooting.  Very helpful.  

Does anyone else have an issue with sensors going offline for hours at a time, then coming backing online on their own without any steps taken to resolve?

This seemed to start after a recent MR firmware upgrade.  I provided this information to support, but they said that is not the issue and do not revert.  There is an MV camera about 4 feet from the sensor and the sensor should be using this MV as its gateway.  

Is there a way to check what the MT sensor is using as a gateway?   Is there a log for this connection?

18 REPLIES 18
TEAM-ind
Getting noticed

I do see in the logs environment that the sensor is connecting to a poorly performing AP.  Is there a way to force a sensor to connect to an MV rather than an MR?  I know it can use both as a gateway, but apparently it prefers APs.  The MV is only four feet away.  I am guessing it was always using that until the MR firmware upgrade.

what camera model and firmware?

what ap model and firmware?

they need to be listed here to support MT. i have 15 sensors here and they never drop offline. we also have a few hundred in our HQ that are stable connected to MV's and MR's.

feel free to PM your org link and I can take a peek.

MV12   4.13

MR42 and MR42E  was 27.7.1 when the sensor was working properly and never going offline. 

However is now 28.5 and able to support the MT10 and the MT10 is going offline and online many times a day. 

Logs show "detected insufficient RSSI from sensor" many times a day.  These showed up only after upgrading the firmware on the MRs. 

Since the previous firmware did not support the MT sensors, I can only assume the sensor was connected to the MV camera previously, and it was working flawlessly.  However, now it does not want to do that with the MRs being available...but the MRs don't provide good enough signal to accommodate the sensor, I guess. 

So my question is, why won't the sensor choose the MV that is four feet away and stay there?

Up until October 10th (that is when the MR firmware upgrade occurred) the sensor and been in production for several months and had been online and trouble free the entire time.  

Now that the MRs are on a firmware that supports the sensor, I can't keep it online.

Meraki is sending a replacement MT10, but I am assuming that will do the same thing.

We shall see.

hard to give anymore concrete data without looking at the network. as mentioned before feel free to PM your org URL to me or the serial of the MT would work too.

or, if you have a Support case open have them look into the RSSI's and provide some feedback on what the sensor is experiencing. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

None of ours go offline.

I don't think the MT's "connect" to an AP or MV.  I think they broadcast a Bluetooth beacon and all devices that can hear it report in.

Are your MVs the second generation MV with the built-in Bluetooth (like MV12, MV22, MV72) ?  First-generation don't have Bluetooth to be able to listen to beacons.

Tried changing the batteries?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TEAM-ind we have two MT10 sensors that we have had this issue with. 

One of them simply has poor reception to all APs so depending on the people in the building etc. it randomly connects every few hours. 

The other is more like yours where there is an AP well within range but it simply refuses to connect to it most of the time. We did a factory reset on the MT but not the MR as we had a spare MV that was useful in that room so we installed it and now the MT uses that and stays connected all the time.

I would try a factory reset on both the MV and the MT (one at a time) as you may get joy there.

I did replace the batteries even though the sensor indicated batteries were at 100%.

DMartin6
Just browsing

Was there a resolution? I have an MT10 that keeps going on and off line every couple hours. Doesn't matter how close it is to the AP and brand new batteries. LED is always Green on the MT10.

If you want to DM me the serial of your AP I can take a look

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR Firmware 28.6 completely fixed it for me.  If you are running earlier I'd update.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes 28.5 had issues on certain AP models. 28.5.1 and now RC 28.6 both fixed the issue. If you're using MTs with any legacy APs like the 42/52/53 you need to be on 28.6.

Thanks! Do I get 28.6 by just toggling Yes on Try Beta Firmware?

Go to Organization > Firmware Upgrades page. Then go to All Networks tab. Select the network you want to upgrade and click Schedule Upgrades in the upper right. The rest should be self explanatory.

DMartin6
Just browsing

Thanks. Just updated the other day to 28.5 to cure an iPhone connection issue. Says up to date now, don't see 28.6 available yet. Hopefully it will be released soon?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

28.6 is a stable release candidate, but we run all our production networks on it with thousands of clients.

DFWCor
Comes here often

I seem to be having the same issue today Oct 31, 2022 on FW 29.4.1

Before the MT10 would stay online always, however now we keep getting low RSSI errors and the unit hasn't been online for several hours.

The AP is super close the to MT.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Our MT10s are all okay, connecting to MRs running 29.4.1, just the MT14 that connects via ans MV that drops off. I'm wondering if something on the sensor side is awry?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't had any issues with MT dropping off and I have some connected via MV and some with MR. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.