MT10 Sensor to detect low water

Solved
KRobert
Head in the Cloud

MT10 Sensor to detect low water

Has anyone used the MT10 sensor to monitor a container with liquid? Have the probe submerged in the liquid and when the liquid get's too low the sensor indicates a lower humidity and sends an alert.

CMNO, CCNA R+S
1 Accepted Solution

@KRobert... I have actually been trying to test this scenario for the last 18 months or so and it has been pretty consistant.  I have had a MT12 with the cable ran into my shower so that I can show when it detects water but if you notice it does take some time to NO LONGER detect water by the examples below...  Theoretically for you, this could work but it will not be immediate as I have seen upwards of 4-5 hours after turning the shower off before the sensor no longer detects.  But as @Ryan_Miles is accurate as the MT12 is primarily for the use case to detect water... not the absence of it.  I have also tried this in the back of my toilet tank (THE BACK PART) to see if it could be useful to show that after a flush it could show some data around no water being in the back tank but sure enough it just never has enough time to dry and thus always shows as water detected.  But the big thing here is that you will never be immediately notified if that tank is empty as it would take time for the sensor to dry.

Larry_Woods_0-1654607326361.png

Larry_Woods_1-1654607435867.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Liquid detection would be the MT12. Stick the MT10 in liquid and you're bound to have a bad day.

As for the MT12 its primary targeted use case is to be dry and when liquid contacts the leak detection cable send an alert. Not sure we've tested the reverse in which the cable spends its time wet all/most of the time.

What would you be monitoring here?

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

A large tank of water of water the basically drains at the end of the night to a certain level, then fills back up the next day. However if the tank empties below the threshold, it could run dry and over heat the motor that runs it, causing some potential damage. It is a weird request, but basically I want the sensor to detect H20 100% time and if it becomes dry ,then alert me. 

CMNO, CCNA R+S

@KRobert... I have actually been trying to test this scenario for the last 18 months or so and it has been pretty consistant.  I have had a MT12 with the cable ran into my shower so that I can show when it detects water but if you notice it does take some time to NO LONGER detect water by the examples below...  Theoretically for you, this could work but it will not be immediate as I have seen upwards of 4-5 hours after turning the shower off before the sensor no longer detects.  But as @Ryan_Miles is accurate as the MT12 is primarily for the use case to detect water... not the absence of it.  I have also tried this in the back of my toilet tank (THE BACK PART) to see if it could be useful to show that after a flush it could show some data around no water being in the back tank but sure enough it just never has enough time to dry and thus always shows as water detected.  But the big thing here is that you will never be immediately notified if that tank is empty as it would take time for the sensor to dry.

Larry_Woods_0-1654607326361.png

Larry_Woods_1-1654607435867.png

We now support up to 32 sensors per gateway @DougReimers just so you are aware...

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/32-MT-Sensors-Per-Gateway/ba-p/130243 

Thanks @DougReimers  and @Larry_Woods , but I don't think this relates to this post. 

CMNO, CCNA R+S
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.