ADDING IoT devices to the network

LebogangHNE
Comes here often

ADDING IoT devices to the network

I am trying to add IoT deceives to my network but failing 

I followed some steps to unbind my network and add the devices then bind it again, i get this error : Office Y' cannot be bound to 'LAN X' because they have incompatible network types.

Kindly assist 

7 Replies 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does the network that you try to add the sensors have compatible Gateways? They have to be in the same Dashboard network.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

When you say bind that infers templates are in use. You shouldn't have to unbind any networks when adding Sensors or any Meraki devices to combined networks (even when bound to templates).

If you need to update a template (or network) to include newer product types you can follow the steps in my slide deck here

Looking at what I believe is your network I can see the original template you had only included 

productTypes: 
"appliance",
"switch",
"wireless"

Whereas a newly created template will include all modern product types

productTypes:
"appliance",
"camera",
"cellularGateway",
"sensor",
"switch",
"wireless"

You can get this list using API get networks or get templates calls.

That is so good it should be added to the official Meraki documentation.

PatWruk
Getting noticed

@Ryan_Miles that's a really informative slide deck, we've actually been dealing with this same issue with adding an MG. Any idea why this is so difficult instead of being to just update the current templates to include new devices?

No idea. Backend "stuff" 🤷‍

This should only impact networks or templates created several years back. But I know it's still work to update older networks/templates.

Yeah, most of our templates are from around 2019, I just checked that API call and it shows most of ours are appliance and wireless only...

I will say even with the tac case we have open, your slide deck makes so much more sense. I think we may have this figured out today now

Glad to hear that. The ongoing confusion is why I created the deck and updated all our docs as it was unclear and in some cases just wrong.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.