windows 10 mac address randomization

remixedcat
Getting noticed

windows 10 mac address randomization

how do you stop the windows 10 mac address randomization? I've tried it on the offending device and disabled everything pertaining to that setting, however it's still doing this and ignoring that setting, it's overwhelming my client lists and generally being a hassle. nthere's ike almost 300 more entries in the client list!! and it's for the same device! Windows updated and since then it has been nothing but a hassle with this feature microsoft implemented and seemingly made default. How can I prevent this or is there nothing I can do? 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_M
Getting noticed

Assuming you did check all the settings described by Microsoft linked here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027925/windows-how-and-why-to-use-random-hardware-addresse...

Did you restart the computers, basically resetting the network adapters and make sure they not still using random MAC address setting. Whenever you make changes to the network interface, you have to shut it down and re-enable and a restart of the computer will do that.

Other than that, I do not know.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

yes I did it by the book. The cake still came out crazy 😞

The dashboard doesn't clean up the list immediately. It will have the mac address remain for a while, usually a day since most views are daily views. I normally do online only to ensure MAC address of a machine is its burned in rather than random.

Secondly, make sure you don't have a group policy enforcing MAC address randomization.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

All smartphones with less than 4 years never send their real mac address when they are not connected to a Wifi network.So in any space/venue/office/store the mac randomization will be produced always even if you try to silent your Windows.

Android, iOS, Windows and Linux operative Systems have implemented in the recent versions with very different approaches. Only one iphone could emit 40 different random macs during the visit to a store, or hundreds of different androids could use the same mac in the same moment, and many other techniques are being used, even they are using real mac of real vendors... so  it is imposible for a cisco AP or router to know the real mac address of any smarphone not connected to the wifi. CMX or Merak solution or any other provider (ArubaNetworks, etc..) can not filter the un-real Mac addresses, basically because it is too complex and the random schemes are different and changing constantly in any version of android, iphone, etc..

This is the reason because cmx loyalty data is false, strange data appears, flows and year by year comparation is imposible, etc... effects that make that cisco meraki cmx could not be used as professional solution for flow, behaviour analytics. They only professional solution you can use that can deal with the random macs is Seeketing technology. They have more than six year of experience with big projects (airport, shopping center, system transportation, retails, etc...). Seeketing technology is was the first tool in the world in 2011 providing not only offline behaviour, even online and simultaneous offline tracking user by user. You can send message by proximity using whatsapp, sms, email, push (with our without an App) so ibeacons are not needed...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels