snmpv3 for mx

goobienewbie
New here

snmpv3 for mx

Hi all,

Im trying to configure snmpv3 polling so we can monitor and discover all our branch networks Meraki MX from our NMS. A few things confuse me though. Would we only need to configure this under org settings or does it need to be on both org & network-wide settings? As these MX are all in different networks, would it be the WAN IPs or the VLAN interface IPs that need to be polled from the NMS at the head-end office? And would we need to specifically allow this traffic in the MX firewall rules? Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

SNMP in the org settings allows your to poll the dashboard via SNMP. This is not the local devices directly.

SNMP in the Network-Wide settings configures for devices to be polled directly via SNMP polling from within the network (VLAN IP's) or externally (WAN IP's). 

Additional info can be found at the following reference guide

SNMP Overview and Configuration - Cisco Meraki Documentation

Thanks! I've checked the doc and it seems the info we would need for discovery/monitoring can be polled from the dashboard. One thing though, with polling the dashboard under Org settings, there is no means of configuring username for snmpv3, only auth/priv passwords? Isnt a username required? And it says that the hostname used for all SNMP requests should be snmp.meraki.com instead of org-specific hostnames. How would the NMS identify the correct org to poll if it is just snmp.meraki.com? Thanks!

If you look in the little tiny text under org settings, it tells you the username to use.

PhilipDAth_1-1716799380280.png

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @PhilipDAth advised, a dynamic username and password are generated when you enable the settings. You can then poll the dashboard with those credentials which will only allow extraction of data from your organisation.

Thanks for answering, my problem is solved.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels