mx64 wan port as trunk, is it possible?

kimpanen
Here to help

mx64 wan port as trunk, is it possible?

Hi

Is it possible to configure the wan port on the mx64 as a trunk? 

6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@kimpanen I believe this is not possible with the MX in routed mode.  If you put it in transparent mode then it should be possible, but has many other limitations by no longer being a router.

You can add a VLAN tag to the WAN port in routed mode.

Ok, do you know what limitations?

the scenario is this, I have an ubiquiti setup here at home with a 500mbit connection, working good. But I want to use my meraki parallel to that setup and let it handle the WiFi. So I was hoping to connect both to a switch and connect them using trunks and route WiFi <-> Lan between them..

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have multiple public IPs or is the switch behind the ISP router?  If the latter option then can you not simply connect the wireless APs to the MX instead of the Ubiquiti device, or do the two LANs need to talk?

I believe its possible to get multiple public ips. The thought is to configure so that the WLAN subnet kan reach the LAN subnet.

Beginning to feel that this is a lot work to get to where i want hehe. 

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

What exactly do you mean, when you say you want to configure the wan port as trunk?

The Internet port supports VLAN tagging, in such that you can assign a vlan to the interface, that is handling WAN traffic, and thus connect the MX to a trunk port.
This can be set either via Remote Status page on the MX, or Security & SD-WAN -> Appliance Status -> Uplink, and hit the Edit button next to the WAN interface. You should see a VLAN field, where you can input the VLAN number.

But you cannot have the MX, to grab a WAN IP from say vlan 10, and let vlan 20 passthrough the MX Internet port, for upstream LAN access.
In such case, you'll have to short VLAN 20 around to a LAN port on the MX, with another physical cable.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

"But you cannot have the MX, to grab a WAN IP from say vlan 10, and let vlan 20 passthrough the MX Internet port, for upstream LAN access. In such case, you'll have to short VLAN 20 around to a LAN port on the MX, with another physical cable."

This is what i wanted to achieve, then I´ll have to check and see if I can free up a LAN port on the switch.

Thank you very much!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels